Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick Axolotl?

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi I have one female albino and one male melanoid but they seem to be Sick. They have these small white blotches on their head and feet and the melanoid is starting to loose his gills. they wont eat much either. its not huge blotches like fungus and its not stringy either. My water temperature is 18 degrees celsius and my axolotls are in a 90 gallon aquarium with some minnows and goldfish. I changed the water yesterday because it had some ammonia and nitrites and nitrates but now the water is fine. Please help I don't know whats wrong with them.:(:(:(

P.S. : Ph is 7.8 and ammonia is 0 :(

FX1C

Reaction score
Remove them away from a tank with goldfish! That might not be helping gills.

What were the high readings you had & what did you do to instantly lower ammonia in one day?

Can you post a pic of the white blotches please. Do they look like cotton wool or slightly fluffy? If it is it's likely to be fungus which needs to be treated with salt baths twice daily (follow sticky in sick axolotls section) keep them in separate tubs of fresh water (chsnged 100% daily & seubbed well every 2nd day) until you sort out the safety of your tank - toxins & fish! :eek:

If your daytime temps aren't too hot you shouldn't need to put them in the fridge just somewhere cool quiet & dark.

You could also try adding some black tea to their daily water changes - seems to soothe & help slime coat to recover.

Please keep us updated on how they are :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367415485.127178.jpg

<3 >o_o< <3

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help they are doing alot better now. oI gave them a salt bath and now they are in the 90 gallon just themselves and the feeder fish are in a 10 gallon. Their doing alot better now ( I hope ) and the female is starting to get black tips on her feet so she is alost sexually mature!:D:happy:

FX1C

Reaction score
The black toes may indicate they are getting older but I think it's a long draw to immediately presume they are now sexually mature. I have very young juveniles who've developed light or dark toes & there's no way I would consider them sexually mature - I certainly wouldn't be thinking about breeding them until they're adult sized & at least a year old.

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1