Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Amigo does poo or doesn't poo I don't even know

Katypila

Reaction score
In Amigos tank I find stuff that looks like fish food on the bottom. I take it out with a turkey baster when I see it. Is this axolotl poo? I never see any thing bigger . He eats garden worms so far two a day.
Here's some other details about him the pH ( with a test tube type kit ) is always about 7.4
His temperature was 23 degrees C
The other test kits in the mail so I have been changing 30% of the water daily and using stress coat and stresszyme to make the new water safe.
His tank is 35 L
There is one plant in the tank so the flakes I thought might be dead plant .

Sounds weird but I want to see what other people's axolotly poo look like and how often do they do it.

Kerry M

Reaction score
It usually looks like a black/brown jelly bean when eating worms. Amigo's will probably be Jelly Belly size as he is still relatively small. Sometimes you may not notice the poo if he messes it up while you're sleeping or not there.

auntiejude

Reaction score
The poop can disintegrate in the water - turning to mud-like flakes rather than neat little pellets.

Katypila

Reaction score
Amigo has not had any thing like that his tank is pretty tidy . He's making his spine really curved and looking up . I changed the tank water today. And tested it
pH 7
Ammonia 25 ppm.
Every thing else 0
The temperature is 21 degrees
He's eating 2 worms a day
Sometimes active and sometimes staring doing nothing.
Ok he moved as I wrote this . I was worried about the posture lol. Thought it meant he was constipated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kerry M

Reaction score
That's fantastic that you got your test kit Kat. Perhaps Amigo could eat another worm, I'm surprised that you haven't found waste. Although I do remember reading that they can eat it. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1