Substrate change changes behaviour?

Garrettb

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can a substrate change really change behaviour like i'm seeing?
I went from having 38mm wide flat rocks to having a bare bottom with my axxies that ate getting to the stage where I worry those sizes might cause impaction (maybe I read to many warnings about substrate that causes impaction).
But now my female golden albino is strutting her stuff, seeming like she's checking her seeks out in the bottom reflection. And my male wild is more active and sociable than ever..
Anyone got any changes similar from changing the setup in the tank?

I understand the rocks would be a big part of the eco filter, but I thought it would produce different behaviours..

Could it be possible that by seeing their reflections they're now displaying territorial behavior? I've never owned an axie [but sure want one :) ] They may get along well with each other, but are getting excited thinking someone else snuck in. lol. This is only my opinion though.

I just put some sponge down in half of my axies tank and he won't go near it lol. I thought he would like something to grip onto instead of the bare glass. He used to be really active and now he sulks in the corner.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back