Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing foot and bleeding tale .. help

dudzie

Reaction score
Over the summer (2012) Pinkie got a tiny bit of fungus on his gills, but soon it went away, all by it self.
Then in October/November his toes on both back legs 'rotted' away, i put him in the fridge, and gave him salt baths.. But it didn't change help

As we got guests over Christmas, the fridge was full and i put him down in the basement. It is approx 8°C down there, and he was there for 2 months.

Since that didn't help, i took him back up, and in the tank Kenai (wild type axolotl), where it is 18°C.
At first he got well, toes started growing back, tail grew as it should.
But 3 weeks ago, his toes on his left leg disappeared again.. and his tail looks like it's bleeding :(

Any idea what could be going on?
What should i do now?

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,424
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,097

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Not to be rude but is there a chance Kenai has bitten your Pinkie's tail or feet? Have you ever seen Kenai biting him, even by accident?

If this is possible you may need a tank divider or even another tank. I could suggest Stress Coat + as your dechlorinator; the aloe vera will keep the wounds clean. Even if it isn't Kenai that's caused the wounds, I would still separate them as Pinkie will be open to infection. You might need a large clean tub or even a spare tank to do 100% water changes on. This way you minimise the chances of infection and stress.

You can also try a tea bath if you can't get Stress Coat, which will hopefully prevent infection. Here's the recipe:

I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.
The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution.
- Caudata Culture Articles, Illness Part 2

Hope this helps! Any signs of fungus or is it just wounds at the moment?

dudzie

Reaction score
Hope this helps! Any signs of fungus or is it just wounds at the moment?

I thought about Kenai biting Pinkie, but i have never seen him biting him. They are alone in a a 35-ish gallon tank, with lots of hides.

There is no sign of fungus anywhere, looks almost like a healed wound, but that's what it has looked like for a while now..

I'm gonna try giving him a tea bath... and maybe even find a way to divide the tank :)

Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
No problem! You've done the right thing with a big roomy tank and hides, but since axxies will snap at anything that goes past their mouths, it's worth dividing to prevent accidents. For now keeping the wounds clean is vital - I hear tea baths are very effective!

Good luck! I hope Pinkie gets his pinkies and tail back soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!