Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexual maturity + growth

layna

Reaction score
when an axie gets different coloured toes, this means they're sexually mature if I remember correctly. But when does their growth slow right down? My juvie is 8 months and has white fingertips (hes melanoid) but is only 6 and 1/2 inches, would he significantly grow now?

danchristopher

Reaction score
I've had adult (so yes, sexually mature) axies that were about 8-9inches when I got them that still grew several inches after. So yes, I believe they do keep growing after they are sexually mature, but how much bigger they will grow is harder to determine ;)

From the Axolotl Biology page:
I once saw a friend's female axolotl that was about 43 cm (17 inches) in length. However, a large size for most axolotls would be 25-30 cm (10-12 inches). The average seems to be about 23-25 cm (9-10 inches). Adults tend to reach their full size after eighteen months to two years, the growth rate depending on how well they are fed and at what temperature they are kept.

I'd say your axie still has some growing to do :)

Last edited:

layna

Reaction score
Haha i hope so, else id have a dwarf axies! Thanks for the reply :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!