Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is gelatin okay?

imzunicorn

Reaction score
Since bloodworms are a pain to feed, I was thinking about putting bloodworms in a plain gelatin and feeding the axolotls little chunks of it. Of course, I'm aiming to make a pretty high concentration of bloodworms to gelatin, but I'm just wondering if the gelatin will be harmful down the road?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I wouldn't, the gelatin will just dissolve in the water, and I have no idea what it will do to an axolotl's digestive system.
If you find bloodworms messy try a jam jar - put the worms in a jar large enough to accommodate your axie either upright or on its side.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a really interesting concept. Gelatin is derived from animal by products and is essentially just animal protein, although not a complete source. I can't see how it could be harmful, especially as many people feed beef to their axolotls, although it may drastically alter the consistency of poop, perhaps not for the best...

How would you make the cubes? Once defrosted, frozen bloodworms deteriorate quickly. My concern would be that by adding warm gelatin to the worms and then cooling to room temperature would give enough time for the worms to degrade. How would you store them once made?

imzunicorn

Reaction score
The hot water may pose a problem, although I would leave leftover bloodworms out and they wouldn't turn brown for a couple days. In the worst case scenario, it just doesn't work at all and I just throw it away.

And I was pretty certain I saw something like this in the reptile section, I never heard of that Tetra product, but it seems to be exactly what my idea is. Now that I think about it, there's those "weekend feeders" for fish and I think they're made with gelatin also. I definitely don't see how it could be worse than beef heart and they will hardly be eating any at all considering it'll be a treat since right now they only eat earthworms.

Also, considering its just bones and skin, it wouldn't be much different than what they would eat in the wild, just a different animal of course. I was kinda just making sure that the gelatin doesn't undergo some crazy properties that I don't know about in water and I have an exploded axolotl.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Gelatin is a good axolotl food binder and it digests. It is in itself a rather unbalanced mix of amino acids for many animals but I have used it as a binder without problems. Blood worms tend to cut out of it if used to make chunks and in general I find the axies clear up bloodworms without the need to bind them.

2.5g gelatin in 10 ml water left to hydrate for a few minutes then given a few seconds blast in the microwave makes a concentrated glue which can be stirred into and quickly binds almost any food! (If you reduce the water to 1ml you can even glue a broken chair together!:happy:)

Starch paste does not digest. I have agar which I have not tried as I suspect it too may not digest. Cooked egg white seems to be poorly digested.

Donnabates82

Reaction score
This thread came up. I was making my repashy worm molds and they are gelatin. I thought what if I blend some earth worms in a coffe grinder and added know gelatin, poured into my gummy worm molds and refrigerate or freeze. I’m not into the whole cutting up the earthworms and they love black worms but it’s $70 for a 1/4 lb to be overnight shipped here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1