Salt bath for fungus toe?

ciele02

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I just had a quick question. One of my Axies has a teeny tiny bit of white fungus on one toe. I know you would usually give a salt bath for this but I get the impression salt baths can be a bit irritating. So I'm curious as to if there may be another way to treat this. For example putting a dot of mecurachrome or prima fix on it as a one of? Just wondering if its worth the potential irritation for his whole body with a salt bath if there is another way...if I am explaining that well enough.

If it's only a small bit of fungus, I would refrigerate and observe. Remove it if possible with a cotton swab or turkey baster. Be gentle!

Hi Kaysie. Thanks for that. I was worried about trying to salt bath for such a tiny spot. I turned the chiller down on the tank for a few days from 13 to 10 degrees and I wiped his toe very gently (lucky he's more than happy to just sit in my hand) and I put a drop of mecurachrome on the toe. It was pretty much perfect the next morning.

Excellent. Be careful with mercurachrome, as it's toxic to humans (especially women of child-bearing age).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back