Why NOT axolotls?

CaptainTowel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, all! I'm new around here, and new in general to amphibians.

I've been reading about axolotls online the last few weeks, and I'm almost convinced that I want one. However, seeing as how I'm kind of an impulsive person, I want to make sure I don't rush into anything. So I'm here to ask this question: Why should I NOT get an axolotl or two? What would be some reasons why they'd be a bad choice of pet for me?

Thanks!

I would not suggest an axie if someone hates to do water changes regularly. Or when someone wants a pet you can hug and look cute.
Oh and when someone is scared of worms, lol.

I read that you have to change the water once a week if you don't have a filter. If you have a filter, how often do you have to change it?

Its around a 20% water change if you DO have a filter, axies need a filter as they are quite messy, even just a sponge filter, but without a filter, the water changes will need to be way more than once a week!

What about food? How much would you say it costs to feed a couple axolotls?

Not much, i bought 120 baby worms for £2.85 (to feed 5 axies) and they have maybe ate around 20 of them in like a week, and the worms are now breeding.
But if your going with frozen bloodworm, they are cheap too, my axies ate 1-2 cubes each a day and 1 pack lasted a week and cost £2, but thats why i moved onto worms, cheaper and once you get them breeding, can last forever :)
i dont know about the price of pellets as ive never used them.

I would say the only bad thing about having my axie is the worry about what I'll do when I go on holiday. You need to find someone who you can trust to feed it and do water changes without killing it lol.

Other than that I love my axie to bits and I wouldn't ever regret adopting it :love:

And if u dont mind falling in love n devoting LOTS of time with the best little mate u will ever have..!

oh and spending lots of time examining and talking about their poop :-\

Why not to get an axie? you can't get just one. It's impossible. You'll end up with 6.

Why not to get an axie? you can't get just one. It's impossible. You'll end up with 6.

Unless you ban yourself from the for sale section like I have. I've also banned myself from looking at other caudates because I know I'll want them all!

So yeah, addiction.. Another bad thing about axies ;)

Consider where you are keeping the tank .How hot does it get in your house in summer? I'm not very familiar with the climate in Kansas but am aware of masses of "help-it's too hot postings" from this sort of area in high summer.

If you have a cool cellar or constant air-con fine. If you regularly find summers oppressive then think carefully before buying any amphibian. Can you afford a chiller if needed? The axies could suddenly become very expensive pets.

If you don't have motivation to maintain an aquarium carefully then don't get an axolotl. If you are not willing to pay $50 for a master test kit for freshwater then don't get an axolotl. There are far too many axies out there suffering as people don't understand the importance of being vigilant about water quality. You should also be prepared to pay for vet bills if required, last week I paid $300 and this was not in my budget. It was my first vet expense admittedly but I would do it again if needed.

And there u have the answer!!!

i would have hundreds, if i had the room, permission from my many pets on property suffering husband.. and my hot all yr round climate, meaning i have a chiller running...

They are the most addictive, addorable just want to kiss em (but not recomended) animals..

Sadly i am restricted to one, they are just like kids i want more but am very happy with the ones i am blessed with.

And if u dont mind falling in love n devoting LOTS of time with the best little mate u will ever have..!

oh and spending lots of time examining and talking about their poop :-\

I knew I wasn't the only one

Unless you ban yourself from the for sale section like I have. I've also banned myself from looking at other caudates because I know I'll want them all!

Its true...i got my first in December and now i have two tanks of lotls...
and with summer coming i'm trying to figure out how to keep the water cool without breaking the bank (i spend a lotl time camping over summer break - teachers need time to party too)

Another big thing: Be prepared to monitor your water temperature often, especially if your house tends to get warm. It's always good to keep a stock of water bottles in the freezer for emergencies.

That hasn't helped me. I brought three from pet stores and an other one from a market :/

If I didn't have such a small room I would probably have 47 axies. But architecture hates me.

With regards to water changes be aware that while your filter is running well and the tank is cycled fine if something happens to mess with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels you may find yourself needing to do some impromptu water changes and often till the levels even out, (it shouldn't take long but be prepared!).

Aquirums are more expensive than many people realise I think... while the food is relatively cheap compared to other animals and they are easy to maintain the set up can be pricy. Axies need quite large tanks and I would suggest you get two because watching them interact is such fun :).

However in saying that master test kits aren't actually expensive in the long run- mine says it contains 800 tests because you only need a couple of drops per sample, and it cost me £25, (english money sorry), and the daft test strips they sell in stores were £12 and in the long run the test kit lasts longer. (and more accurate, Value for money!)

Also this is an addictive hobby. I have no room in my house for more axolotls, by i'm getting a smaller tank to grow plants in for my axies...This hobby spreads!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back