Question: Girlfriend's Axolotl side of mouth hanging?

LJay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
LJayP
Hello everyone, i am in need of some advice and help if required please, My girlfreind's axolotl which she has had for about 3 weeks now has seemed to develop this growth on his cheek area. He is still very active and will eat swim still, the tank was cycled for 4 weeks and we did a test before we put him in.

The results were

Ammonia: 0.10
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25

1r5das.jpg

If the tank was cycled then ammonia and nitrite would both be 0, other than that i cant help with his mouth :(

The tank is 100L and was cycled for 4 weeks, i will get another reading and post when have the results as that was 3 weeks ago. Thanks for looking :)

Okay :) what type of set up do you have? they may have accidently chomped on something and caught their mouth a little.

I'm with Layna on this one, afraid I can't help. Perhaps you need to get a vet to take a look at it. There's vets you can pm on here, or you'd have to find a local vet who deals with axolotls.

Thanks for the replies guys, il get a picture uploaded of the tank tonight as about to go to work. Its not my axolotl its my girlfriends, but she has a few decoration items like a submarine and a log which he likes to hide in! The submarine is new and now thinking about she said the other day he got inside and was playing, so he may of grazed his cheek when coming out, she has a filter will find out the specs tonight also has a sand bottom

Hello everyone, i have attached a image of the tank setup. If you wouldnt mind having a look and see if it is sufficient for him it would be much appreciated. Unfourtntly he has took a turn for the worse, when we got home to my girlfriends we had found him which what looked like reaching/sick as there was a pile of chewed bloodworms in the tank! We have decided to put him in the fridge for the night to see if it help soothes his stomach. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 489
Did you retest the water parameters? We need to know to eliminate water issues, whats temp is he at too?
Are his gills curled forward and is his tail curled at the end?
He may have just grazed his mouth and it just needs to heal, but it looks a little nasty so you should check for everything

The tank is 100L and was cycled for 4 weeks, i will get another reading and post when have the results as that was 3 weeks ago. Thanks for looking :)

Water parameters are very important to test regularly especially when adding a large bioload (axolotl) to a newly cycled tank - spikes happen quickly & are not obvious to the eye.. I can't say it enough that keeping an aquarium is a fine balanced chemistry & cannot be guessed - nor does clean water indicate healthy water. So please test & post the results.. Also are the tests strips or liquid? Liquid is the only accurate way of getting readings.

It looks like a serious injury & I would be keeping the lotl in a plastic tub (5G) so you can change the water daily & scrub tub clean every 2nd day. This will help the healing as you'll know the water is clean & fresh & no bacteria from toxic water will affect the wound. Keep a close eye out for fungus & any other indications of problems.

Check the edges of all decorations & sand / file off any sharp edges - if I can't get my fingers into all the edges I won't use the hide - some can have really sharp plastic mold joins inside.

Please keep us updated :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Thanks for the reply's, sorry its took me a while to respond i have been a bit busy. The test we have been using is the strips. The results are as followed.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4

As you have just told me the strips are not as accurate i am going down the pet shop today to pick up a liquid test and will re test as soon as possible. We will get him into a container and do as you suggested. He seems to be OK at the moment no other signs of stress/illness ect.

Thanks for the help

Okay its great to hear your buying a proper kit, i would just keep an eye on the wound, with clean water and food it should heal if its just minor :D

I see things like this, its usually caused by décor. (I'd probably NOT use that submarine, it's more for tropical fish than a soft skinned axolotl)They will freak out while "hunting" and I have had my little guys faces busted up pretty bad from hitting against hiding areas. try a salt bath and some fridge time for regeneration.. there is many posts about salt baths here on caudata, and the fridge time as well. good luck!

Salt baths are for fungus. Salt baths are stressful and should not be used with open wounds. If you look up tea baths that would be better. The tannins in tea sooths the skin. He may healing by now though.

Thanks for all the advice im really gratefull, hes starting to heal very nicely and seems to be happy :). Will buy the kit asap! I will also get her to remove the submarine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back