Out door axolotl larvae nursery kiddy pool

XxJack JeckelxX

Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
Hey everyone!! Ive started an out door daphnia algae colony and looking to turn it into a axolotl nursery. But the low temps are 45F or lower. What is the lowest temp the larvae with front nubs tolerate. Also how much sun and shade should they be exposed to? Also does any one culture black worm and can give any tips will the worms thrive and reproduce in the nursery? Any input is much appreciated. Ill post pics soon

They'll be fine at 45F. I've raised mine at that temp all winter. They'll grow a lot slower though.

Ideally, they shouldn't receive any direct sunlight.

Blackworms are hard to culture: they are slow to grow, and most people don't bother.

They'll be fine at 45F. I've raised mine at that temp all winter. They'll grow a lot slower though.

Ideally, they shouldn't receive any direct sunlight.

Blackworms are hard to culture: they are slow to grow, and most people don't bother.

thanks for the response. can i ask you what is the adequate/ minimal sunlight do the daphnia/ free floating algae need to colonize and sustain? also im heading on a road trip for a month do you think these guys have a chance while im away. they are my first GFP larvae and i would hate for them to parish.

I keep light on my daphnia 24 hours a day, and keep them at room temp. This keeps them from developing eppiphia. If they get too cold or don't get enough light, they'll develop eggs instead of offspring, and your culture will crash.

I've had hit-or-miss luck with greenwater (my cultures somehow always get contaminated with daphnia :eek:).

If you're going to be gone for a month, it'll be a gamble.

pics? i wanted to do a kiddy pool for my 300 eggs hat hatched. but figured it would be too much of a pain

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back