Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies won't eat

Antonio p

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the axolotl community (I just received two axolotls they're about two inches long) my axies haven't been eating and I was wondering if anything was wrong. Any suggestions?:(

FX1C

Reaction score
At 2 inches they will need lots of care & good live food available for regular munching.

How are you keeping these little lotls?
Have you got them separated in tubs?
Have you been changing their water regularly or testing their water if you have them in a tank?
Keeping them in separate tubs is the easiest way to ensure their water is freshly changed 100% daily (aged dechlorinated tap water) with tub scrubs every 2nd day & that they have access to food.

What have you been trying to feed them? Live blackworms are excellent to entice them to eat - daphnia can be left in the tubs as well but if you can get them to eat the live blackworms that would be the best.

Post a pic of your lotls & how you're keeping them, just in case there are any other issues.

<3 >o_o< <3

Antonio p

Reaction score
Hi I have my axies in a ten gallon glass aquarium with a bare bottom some fake plants and a rock I'm trying to Get a hide but haven't had the money to get one. they are currently housed together and show no signs of aggression towards each other. I've tried to feed them frozen blood worms newt and salamander pellets tadpole food and I'm currently trying to harvest mosquito larvae. I recieved them this Saturday and they are my first axies.

Antonio p

Reaction score
Oh also the axies are in the process of regzenerating two legs on each so I don't know if this has any thing to do with their lack of appetite Any advice helps.

FX1C

Reaction score
What are the parameters for the water in the tank?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph
Temperature

What sort of test kit are you using?
If you don't have a test kit - you'll need to keep them in fresh water until you get one! Water health is not guess work.

How often have you changed the water in the tank / removed waste with a siphon? Are you dechlorinating the water & measuring it very accurately.

You need to get decent food for them - especially since they are regenerating limbs they need good nutrition & lots of food.

I don't understand getting a new pet when you don't have everything you need especially food! It so easy to make a simple hide & it's essential to reduce stress so they can hide if they need. Breeding mosquito larvae is not ideal - please try & find live blackworms - if you don't have the cash, offer to wash some cars or ask your parents to help you out - you cannot have a pet & not have the proper food for it!

<3 >o_o< <3

sabre

Reaction score
Water quality and tank cycling are two very important steps to caring for aquatic pets. Nikki71 asked some really great questions that will help all the lovely people here help your new little guys (or gals)! :)

But because you never actually mentioned having a filter that I saw, I've got some more questions to add:

What kind of filter are you using?
What sort of media (carbon, filter floss/pad, ceramic rings, matrix, etc) do you have in it?
What water dechlorinator/conditioner are you using?

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander -- A very helpful site if you haven't already given it a look.

Antonio p

Reaction score
Yes I have a filter is a tetra fauna repto filter with carbon cartridges I plan on doing periodic 20% water changes I however haven't tested the water yet.

Antonio p

Reaction score
Oh also I really don't know where I can find any live black worms or blood worms because the pet stores in my area don't sell them that's why I've decided on harvesting mosquito larvae until I can find a reliable source for food like live black worms or live blood worms. So really I'm not planning on permanently feeding them mosquito larvae it's just a solution for food until I can get some live worms. And yes I do dechlorinate the water and remove un eaten food.

layna

Reaction score
If you can find someone nearish you on ebay, then you can order live food :) at 2" they really need live food as they hunt using movement at that age :D
I dont know whats its like where you live but here, the latest most sellers will post is thursday so the live food doesnt sit over the weekend and turn up dead, so id get looking now haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1