Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red or colourful submersible plants?

layna

Reaction score
I know plants have been done to death but...Im sick of the green plants in my tank and want to add in a bit of colour, id like submersible plants that are pretty!
Ive tried googling it but they all seem to be for temperatures 20 C +
Does anyone know of any nice coloured live plants that will suit an axie tank?
Thanks!

hairypumpkin

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere in the vast seas of the interenet that more color plants have the more light they need. You may have to resort to colored silk fake plants? Maybe you could mix fake and real ones together?

layna

Reaction score
I already have a mix but the fake ones dont help the tank much.
They are in rooms that get light all day and sunlight for a good 4-5 hours on a morning and my tank lid is seethrough.
I dont know i just wanted a bit of nice colour in there :D

jclee

Reaction score
There are a lot of species of aquatic plants that become red (or reddish) when they're kept under high light. (Ludwigia and Crypts have species that go red under the right conditions.) You might want to poke through a couple of planted tank forums to read some basics of keeping a high light tank and consider if that would be right for you.

abbeh15

Reaction score
I have had luck with red tiger lotus/lily bulbs. I find them to be quite beautiful. It ranges in color from red/green to almost a purple. It sends pads up to the surface via long stems, which the axies love to hang out and climb on.

The picture with gravel is my brothers shrimp and guppy tank. The red tiger is in the left corner.

The others are from my axie tank.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958528.655237.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958528.655237.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 676
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958551.551373.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958551.551373.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 425
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958582.702379.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958582.702379.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 668

layna

Reaction score
I have had luck with red tiger lotus/lily bulbs. I find them to be quite beautiful. It ranges in color from red/green to almost a purple. It sends pads up to the surface via long stems, which the axies love to hang out and climb on.

The picture with gravel is my brothers shrimp and guppy tank. The red tiger is in the left corner.

The others are from my axie tank.

Hey thanks, thats quite cool, ill look into it :)

pookiewn

Reaction score
This is an excellent list of low light plants, lots to choose from including a couple with some colour other than green :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1