Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wine cooler

shock

Reaction score
Hi,
any1 tried to use classic wine cooler to maintain temperature in small 54l tank, or it would not be enough ?
I have tried 2 CPU fans blowing nonstop and it decrease current tank temperature from 26C to 23C max during day. I have some big ugly internal filter currently - going to try turn it off for half a day to see if it is not producing too much of warm.

Now I am thinking to pick some used wine cooler for around 50$ and pump water in pipes trough it (with still some space for 2 wine bottles to not be just an aquarium tool :D ).

I have also seen some car fridge for symbolic price.
I dont want to mess with compressors etc, just insert some pipes inside to pump water trough it.
Not buying axie till I prepare correct environment :(

Or attaching old little water dispenser could work with some hacking - that could have enough cooling power in theory.

Last edited:

shock

Reaction score
Sooo, I got that water dispenser today for few $ and removed all boring parts :D

pic1
pic2

Filled that with water and plugged into electricity for test run.

Currently running for few minutes. But as all know peltier is not best but I expect it to be enough to keep it cool enough. And internal electronic used to be set to stop at 5C in these dispensers.

So my plan for now is to get external pump and sand (cause i have gravel atm).
Keep half of water for later, clean aquarium, put some flowers substrate on few places, get that half water in, flowers on their place, cover all with sand max 2-3cm, roots in place.
And kickstart it with day old water which was inserted to kitchen freezer for few hours.

And prepare some temperature based controller - the hard part. Probably easiest way would be some electric plug which can be turned on/off to control this dispenser electronic based on aquarium water temperature.
Google time :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1