Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Firei-bellied Newt Questions

jack26707

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning on getting some fire bellied newts for my 20 gallon tank and had a few questions about them. At the store they were about 3 in. long. I am pretty sure that they are Chinese fire bellied newts. How much land should they have? I have a turtle dock and a floating log at the moment and was wondering if that's enough. I'm planning to feed them black worms but I heard they might except reptomin (If they do I will feed them both). Also how many should be in a 20 gallon? I was hoping to get at least two. Thanks :happy:.

evut

Reaction score
It's nice to see someone asking questions before acquiring newts. In a 20 gallon tank you can have more than two newts - it will depend on the species and the way the tank is set up. Healthy adult aquatic newts only need a small land area, such as a pice of floating cork bark.

I would recommend that you spend some time looking through the Help section - check out all threads about Fire-bellied newts (you can use the search function, look for "orientalis", "CFBN", "firebellied"...). It will give you an idea about what you'd be getting yourself into if you purchased newts in a pet shop. Most newts will refuse to go in water, they will not eat, many will have sores and ultimately, many will die. these animals are caught in China, transported in terrible conditions and often almost tortured with the "care" they receive in pet shops. Many pet shops will happily lie about the origin of the animals but beware, no one has ever heard of breeders supplying pet shops.

I would recommend getting captive bred newts. It might take a little while and you might have to raise them from a juvenile stage, but you will have healthy animals. And you will not be supporting the trade with wild animals. There are many species that are suitable, Chinese firebellies (Hypselotriton (Cynops) orientalis) are not the only ones. Other good beginner species are Spanish ribbed newt (Pleurodeles waltl), Japanes Fire-Bellied Newt (Cynops pyrrhogaster), Chenggong Fire-Bellied Newt (Cynops chenggongensis), Blue-tailed Fire-Bellied Newt (Cynops cyanurus), Japanese Sword-tail Newt (Cynops ensicauda). You can find care sheets here. I would also recommend reading all you can here, it will answer many questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1