Plastic Tub Safety

Chlorophilian

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I will be moving around fairly often in the coming months, I have decided to purchase a plastic tub to use as a tank. Sturdy, cheap, and of the right size, my only question would be about the possible toxicity of the plastic.
Has anyone had any problems with this? Is there a way to check if any leeching will occur, or some method of fixing the plastic to prevent it?

What kind of plastic tub? If it's tupperware I would assume there would be no leeching since they're made to hold food and most are made to be microwave safe (so if there were leeching it would do a ton of it when placed in the microwave). As far as storage bins....well, I'd assume it'd be the same since a lot can be used to store things like animal feed with no issues, but I've never had personal experience with keeping something living in either.

The tub is an Iris brand water-tight storage box. Nothing much on the website about materials, though they do offer pet food containers. I can't determine whether both are made out of the same kinds of plastic or not.
Is this a silly worry? I usually don't give two figs about whether any plastic I'm drinking from is having an ill effect on my health. Are fears about amphibian skin permeability and long exposure to the plastic unfounded?

Looking up the recycle code number might help you find out what kind of plastic it is.

The recycling code number is "5 PP", which the internet tells me stands for polypropylene, same as in the sterilite containers. Any protocol I should follow to ready it for long-term habitation?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back