Hydras?

Canaveral

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Canaveral
I found one in my tank and read up on them. Most of the articles I've found say they can't harm axolotls larger than larvae, and that they actually clean the tank.

So why on earth does everyone want to get rid of them?? If it seriously does the axolotl no harm, why not let the poor little thing live and be beneficial?

If it really can't do any harm, I think I'd like to keep it. What about if the axolotl tries to eat it though? Does anyone have experience with KEEPING hydras with axies?

They may not be that harmful to adults but the "cleaning up" is eating larval food faster than small axies and so if you are going in for growing any small larvae or breeding fish you are a lot better off without hydra around. They have a knack of getting from one tank to another and I'm glad there are none in my tanks.

I once had them in my guppy tank and I had some guppy fry in there, so the hydra were pretty much a huge pain in my whatchamacallit.
No experience with hydras in lotl tanks yet. Thank god.

I've had loads in my H.orientalis until the amount of Gammarus and pond and ramshorne snails grew a lot. Guess the Gammarus and snails won the battle in the end. No hydra to be found anymore. I didn't dislike them though, but I especially love the Gammarus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back