Illness/Sickness: Help me please!

IgosDuIkana

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Igos Du Ikana
Morphed axolotl sick! D:

My morphed axolotl won't eat, and it's very skinny, he segregates a white mucus on it's tail, help! what can i do?

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 199
Hi, sorry to hear you've got troubles.

I can't help directly I'm afraid as I have no experience with this, but I believe you care for a morphed axolotl in the same way as a tiger salamander, so if you haven't done so already I suggest you post in the Salamander forum.

Good luck.

Just a suggestion really, as you would need a vet to confirm but it could be some form of skin infection, such as a fungal or bacterial infection.

Re: Morphed axolotl sick! D:

I'm not sure what the problem is. The reddish brown patches look like substrate clinging to the shedding skin rather than ulceration.

It is a bit skinny, can you manage to keep it cool? I try to keep mine below 20C. If it is recently morphed it may take time to adapt to land based feeding. If you have access to earthworms try offering it one and leaving a few in the container. If it starts snapping at food try hand feeding. Morphed mexicanum have teeth but they are not too vicious if they bite you. I found mine took food if offered to one side of its head rather than in front of its nose when it first started to feed after morphing.

Thank's guys but Alexander the salamander just passed away u_u

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back