Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: FB NEWT DYING, will NOT eat!!! PLEASE HELP!

kailz

Reaction score
As you can see from this picture Rio is dying. He will not eat what so ever, my sister owns him and thought for the past few weeks that he was eating the newt pellets, but obviously not. I am currently trying to feed him earthworms and he literally just walks over it. He is so skinny and terrible looking it upsets me so much :( Someone please tell me something I can do for him!!!
Additional : he lives in a 10 gallon tank with rocks, plant and water (obv)

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 341

fire_newt

Reaction score
I agree with Coastal Groovin, he looks beyond any help you can give him. But if you are willing to give it a try get a pair of tweezers and wiggle the food in front of his face. Newts and salamanders react better to moving food. Also, try feeding cut up pieces of wax worms. It's like newt crack, he might eat it. Best of luck

kailz

Reaction score
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I got Rio to eat a small amount of brine shrimp tonight :) 4th try, but I'm not giving up on him haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1