Best way to clean tank?

Ftskayla

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my little sand filter tube thingy doesn't work all that well In my 10 gallon. There is starting to get really messy in my tank. I suck out the poop w/ a turkey Baster every other day, but tht only helps so much. Can I take the sand out and clean it that way or?

I use a siphon/gravel cleaner to clean my tank. It would suck some sand out of the tank but if you're careful not too much. I have a bare bottom tank so I'm not sure if it's best to remove the axies while cleaning with sand as it might irritate their eyes. Most likely someone with substrate experience will be along shortly! :D

Gravel cleaner all the way!

Once a week I'll do a quick skim of the surface of the sand to remove any bits, then one a fortnight (or three weeks) I'll do a more thorough clean...
I usually move the ornaments from one side of the tanks to the other, then gently scoot the axolotls over that side. They'll usually explore a little while I am cleaning the empty side.

I'll usually start by skimming the surface of the sand with the gravel cleaner, which sucks up the poop and debris, then give it all a good dig in with the cleaner to move the sand about a bit. Once one side is done I swap the ornaments over and repeat. Then I'll clean the other tanks and come back and do one last skim once stuff has settled. You do end up with sand in the bucket, but that can easily go back into the tank.

The only one in the slightest disturbed by cleaning is my wild, he doesn't like it one bit! The others just explore and try and get in my way.

Taking the sand out sounds like a big old hassle!

What's the tube thingy you're using at the mo?

The siphon is what I meant by tube thing! I couldn't think of the word. For some reason mine really doesn't work a that well or I don't really know how to use it

You basically stick the large end of the siphon in the tank water. Then you suck on the other end of the siphon and it should start vacuuming the water out of the tank so be quick putting it in the bucket, unless you want to taste your axie water. Also, the bucket should be lower than the tank, gravity always helps :D

Some have a hand pump, I've never used one of those but you put the siphon in the tank and move it up and down and squeeze the pump. Much less tastier that way though ;)

I just use a turkey baster, if you put it under the sand and squeeze, it pushes up and poop ect then it all settles on top of the sand and i just suck it up. I also do this to stop gas pockets forming :D

I just use a turkey baster, if you put it under the sand and squeeze, it pushes up and poop ect then it all settles on top of the sand and i just suck it up. I also do this to stop gas pockets forming :D

After reading this i went and got my self a turkey baster, and i have to say its amazing ive already used it within an hour of obtaining it lol. Thanks :)

Your tank must be higher than your bucket in order for a siphon to work well.

And if you're using a syphon tube I'd recommend putting the whole thing in the water, wide end first narrow end last, to fill it, and then put your thumb over the narrow end to seal it and carefully pull it out and down into the bucket before taking your thumb off and releasing the flow of water. Much more hygienic (but less tasty!)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

And if you're using a syphon tube I'd recommend putting the whole thing in the water, wide end first narrow end last, to fill it, and then put your thumb over the narrow end to seal it and carefully pull it out and down into the bucket before taking your thumb off and releasing the flow of water. Much more hygienic (but less tasty!)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Oooh I'm going to try this today, thanks. :eek:

Ive also noticed they like to snap at the baster if they get close enough :p

After reading this i went and got my self a turkey baster, and i have to say its amazing ive already used it within an hour of obtaining it lol. Thanks :)

I don't know where I'd be without my turkey baster lol. I would go as far as to say it's the most useful tool you could have if you own an axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back