Illness/Sickness: Help very sick axolotl

CaMy 1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have two axolotls and one of them is really sick today i went to the tank and her gills are a little forward, her tail is bent and her skin is pealing. i moved her out of the tank into a smaller one away from the other axolotl. i put filtered water init and salt to help her heal? what can i do to save my girl.

I wouldn't suggest a salt bath as it's more for fungal infections. And I guess it would irritate the skin even more.
This looks more like a water parameter issue or heat stress to me.

What are the water parameters? And what's the temperature?
And how is the other axie?

Keep her in a cool, clean container. Do daily water changes, or even twice a day.
Or put her in a bare tank with a filter and add almond leaves to the tank or do a tea bath. It soothes the skin.
Don't try to peel the skin off. It will come off on its own.

On this page there's a part on how to do tea baths:
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2

Hope this is helpful.

First what are the tank parameters? Ammonia,nitrite, nitrate ph and temperature?

Second are you using filtered water all the time? Axolotls like harder water and filtered water is to soft for them so unless you are adding dissolve minerals to the water it would be to soft for them. Tap water with a dechlorinator is perfect unless the tap water is way to hard/has other issues but regardless you would needto be adding things to the filtered water.

Is there a lot of water flow in your tank? If your axies skin is peeling it could be from high ammonia or it could even be from using the filtered water.
You should really test the water i suspect maybe even a low ph maybe? If the water is to acidic it could be damaging the slime coat.

Maybe using a black tea bath instead of salt will help soothe your axies skin more. Remember salt bathes are used primarily for fungus so unless you start seeing some white fuzzy stuff growing you should probably avoid it. Salt bathes are pretty stressful on them.

Fresh cool dechlorinated water changed daily would probably be the best thing till we can figure out a cause for what is going on. But use tap water instead

Oops sorry morrison! We must of been writing a post at the same time! Haha

We did pretty much write the exact same thing though..

Yes, you're right, lol. I've only forgot to mention the 'dechlorinated water' part.

she is around three to four years old tanking out od the salt bath and putting her in the tank with decholatred water. i have on idea what the amnion of the ph is in the big tank because my mum only has a ph tester is came up normal. the temp is around 16 to 18

how do u do a tea bath and i'm going to buy a ph and ammonia test today

"The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution."

thanks i will do that for her tomorrow she is looking better her gills aren't forward anymore

What dechlorinator do you use? ones with aloe in add a slime coat to the axies, so peeling shouldnt occur unless the water quality is really bad.
You need to test for
Ammonia
Nitrite
NitrAte

These are the harmful things in a tank, PH is only a major concern if its drastically too high or low and may cause the cycle to crash.

she is all better got new stuff for the tank and it is going well just have to give it a clean out this week end and watch the PH

It is the Ammonia that needs watching. Do you have a filter in with your axolotl? If so, rinse this out in the old current tank water and keep it running while you clean out your tank. Watch the ammonia while your tank cycles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back