Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Green eggs

crazylady

Reaction score
Hi all im not sure if this belongs in the breeding section but since my female is sick I thought it best go here.
So as the title says my female has passed some green eggs whilst in the fridge
bit of info she hasn't been well for a while now with
  • marks on her cloaca
  • lost appetite
  • Floating
The tank
  • 3ft 180 liter no tank mates
  • ammonia 0ppm
  • nitrite0ppm
  • nitrate 5.0ppm
  • sand
  • fake plants an 3 hides
last week she stopped eating again an started to float I did a water change an then the next day lowered the water so she could get down to the bottom 3 days ago after no improvement my vet said to fridge her again for a week to stop her losing weight since she is still skinny an to help her stop floating . I have just changed her water an found 3 green/teal coloured eggs or what im guessing to be eggs my vets is not open now till Monday has anyone seen this before an apart from keeping her in the fridge what can I do

Attachments

• IMG_1510[1].jpg
    IMG_1510[1].jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1495[1].jpg
    IMG_1495[1].jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1505[1].jpg
    IMG_1505[1].jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 226

Quentari

Reaction score
I'd keep those egg things and show your vet on monday. Maybe she has some sort of infection wherever it is that axolotl's hold their eggs? that's all I can come up with without getting a degree in animal medicine. Sorry.

Either way the fridge is the safest place for her.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you add a picture or two of your axolotl please ?

How long have you had her and do you know if she has ever been on gravel? Are these eggs soft or hard?

crazylady

Reaction score
I shall get some pic of her in the morning as my camera is on charge
I have had her for 2 years she was on gravel when I got her an for a month until Kaysie advised me to remove the gravel which I did an she passed 12 bits but this was 2 years ago an she hasn't passed any since. The egg things are half the size a normal egg is and are soft, squish an break up easy her last lot of eggs were the end of march this year since then she has been in her own tank.

mikeg

Reaction score
Whens the last time a male was present? If those in fact are eggs i wonder if they are fertile, they don't look like a normal healthy egg ( obviously not talking about color i am talking about the jelly around them) i wonder how they will turn out if fertile. Very interesting.

Hope for the best

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What color was the gravel she was on? It can remain lodged in the digestive tract for many months. If she's had these pieces lodged in there, they could have been softened by digestive juices over time.

crazylady

Reaction score
They were natural an yellow colour from what I remember these do look a lot smaller than the gravel she was on could they stay stuck in there system for 2 years?

she seems abit less stressed this is her today

Attachments

• IMG_1521[1].jpg
    IMG_1521[1].jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 763

crazylady

Reaction score
Well my vet is completely stumped he think freckles has a infection he gave her 2 injections of antibiotics also he said the green things are not eggs but has taken them for analysis to see what they are. I have to take her back again in a week for the results an another injection. She is back in her tank an has eaten a small worm yesterday i will try her again night but for now she seems more alert an even came to say hi when I checked on her this morning.
I hope this is the start of her getting better I don't know who much more she can take an if it is still fare to put her through all this or how much more my pet fund can take

crazylady

Reaction score
Update on Freckles

she has had another 2 visits to the vet for 2 antiparasite injections the green eggs were cause by 2 factors one the food I had fed her called tetra nature I thought they would be ok for axolotls but they have been enriched with nutrients and vitamins an apparently that's what caused her to go off her food again it had basically gave her a bad tummy also she had a parasite I cant remember what the name was but she had to have 2 injections an now has the all clear she is now eating fine although skinny she seems to be on the mend:eek:

Tephra

Reaction score
Lovely to hear she's on the mend :)

And give her earthworms; those are the best. And they're not all that expensive really.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1