Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Unfertile male? Something else?

Morrison

Reaction score
Okay it's weird to put anything in the Sick Axolotl section because luckily my lotls haven't been sick for a while...... yet.

But I've said this before. I have 3 females and a male. The females look awesomely round. 2 of them look like their gravid for 342 months. But nothing happens.
Okay. Maybe it's not the time for them. (Yep, that's the answer I get all the time, but maybe there is something else)

Let me explain it a little better:
I have Xotl (my male) for about 3 years now. I got him when he was a tiny wildtype and even before I knew that he was 'mature' I found spermatophores in his tank. Then I knew it was a dude. There were no other axies or females in the tank but he just loved 'spamming' those things.

Months later he was in a tank with a few others. I've noticed some spermatophores (I call them 'funny jelly things', because I hate to type that word). Oh well. But nothing happened.
Maybe the females weren't mature enough.

But now they are. They're 2 to 2,5 years old. And still nothing has happened so far. I haven't seen 'funny jelly things' for about 2 years now. And I don't know what's the problem. He hasn't been 'lucky' so far. I don't see them doing 'funny dances' at all. They're just couch potatoes.

About 1,5 - 2 years ago Xotl got pretty sick because someone had given me a golden axie but she turned out to have internal parasites and it was too late to save her. She died. Later my other female died (shortly after I had discovered the internal parasites) and Xotl was in bad shape but he survived! (He looks a bit weird since then. Not sure if it has anything to do with the sickness or treatment but he has a lip zit (yep, it's there for 1,5 years already) and one of his gills is long and 'frill-less' and he's a little thin but eats like crazy!)

Is Xotl just an unfertile axie? Or is he too old to 'make babies' (3,5 years)? Does the sickness part have anything to do with it? (I doubt it)
I want to give it a try with another male but I don't have enough room in the tank for another axie and I don't have (large enough) spare tanks left to put Xotl in.

Morrison

Reaction score
Well. I mean INfertile. (I was probably thinking about 'unfertilized' so my English sucks)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Take out 2 of your females and put them in a different tank temporarily. Mine hardly ever mated in multi-axie setups, always as lone pairs. Rearrange the tank and do a big water change. That should trigger spawning.

Morrison

Reaction score
I don't have a spare tank left, so my only option would be a bucket or something. But I'll give it a try :)

Morrison

Reaction score
Thanks.

But is it possible for an axie to be infertile? If yes, does anyone here have or had an infertile lotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1