Persistent Floater

Gailgirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

My juvie axolotl Clementine seems to be persistently troubled by a gas bubble in her stomach on one side. It keeps her up to the top, on her side, with just the bubble-part of her side protruding. She has learned to gulp air in her lungs and then she can keep her self a little more upright, and (adorably) how to lock her front and back leg on that side together with her toes so they aren't floating around. She sometimes dives to the bottom, releasing her lung air, and goes and hides in her hide, stuck on the ceiling like Mary Poppins.

I fridged her for about 6 days last week, she pooped a good bit but nothing but poop, and then, about 4 days in, was resting comfortably at the bottom. After that, I tempered her fresh declorinated fridge water with fridged tank water, 25% 75% the first day, 50% 50% the second day, and 75% 25% the third, then all fridged tank, then acclimated her back to the big tank. (Side note: Is that necessary? I'm assuming since I'm mid cycle, yes)

She didn't eat the whole time she was in the fridge, despite my best efforts, which was understandable. As her tub was acclimating back to 62 degreees for the big tank, she ate a few pieces of earthworm, her standard food. Yesterday, she ate about 75% of what she ate before this whole thing started, which is about 1 earthworm (e hortensis, from Walmart's bait cooler).

This afternoon, she had the belly bubble, and was somewhat stuck at the top on her side, just like before. I put her in a little tub with barely enough water to cover her, so she'd calm down enough to eat. She ate one piece of worm, and then couldn't be tempted. I have started the fridging cycle again, but am unsure if I need to change anything, to prevent this happening again.

She is about 5" long, I have had them for about a month.

Parameters:
Mid-cycle, with daily partial changes. Never ammonia above 1, never nitrite above 1. If either gets near to 1, I do a 50% change to drop it down. Now that I have nitrites, I have very little ammonia
Ammonia: less than .25 but not 0
Nitrite: .75
Nitrate: 0.
pH: 7.6

API Tap Water Conditioner.

Temp: 62 F (16.6 C) with a chiller. Should I drop it further? It seems to be the average suggested temp.

Substrate: Slate tile and river pebbles, glued down with Silicone I and sealed with bar top epoxy. Leaves the pebbled texture, but watertight and smooth.

Food: e hortensis from Walmart, they have been very consistent. Her tank "neighbor", another axie on the other side of the divider, literally eats the same thing. I chop up a worm, and one piece to Clementine, one piece to Edwina, and so forth, so I feel like if its a bacteria in the worm maybe only Clementine is sensitive. Before this type of earthworm, she was raised on live blackworms by the breeder, and so that's what they ate for the first 2 weeks. Second week, I did half live blackworm, half bloodworm, since the blackworms are hard to get. Then, they started taking earthworms, and have for the last 2 weeks.

Try switching to the nightcrawlers. Feed each one 1/4-1/2 daily or every other day. Smaller, more frequent meals might help. It may be worth putting her in a temporary, shallow setup too. This will keep her feet on the ground, and will be less stressful.

Right now, she is in a shallow container of fresh, dechlorinated water in the fridge. After she passes this bubble again, I will try a different worm. I have a worm farm set up awaiting a pick up of e. foetida. I was going to get them tomorrow; would you recommend trying the nightcrawlers or should I just switch to the red wigglers since hopefully that will be their permanent staple.

You can try the wigglers, but some animals won't eat them. If you plan on breeding fetida, then I'd give it a go.

Both my girls snapped up the e. fetida! Cut and whole! I was worried, since they were so slow to take to earthworms in the first place. Clementine's bubble disappeared day before yesterday, so she is going back in the big tank, eating e. fetida instead of e. hortensis. Fingers crossed that this is the last of our bubble gut issues.

Funny moment, was dangling the end of a little worm (2-3 inch, very thin) in front of one, to see if she was snapping yet (warming up from fridge). She ate the whole thing before I could blink! They normally will refuse anything bigger than an inch piece.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back