Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Still having problems

Jbradybvb

Reaction score
I've asked for help with my newts but nothing seems to be working. Sorry idk how to really use this website so I can't combine my other questions together.

I have 2 fire belly newts in a 10 gallon tank. 7 gallons of water with plants and logs for them to hide in. There is a floating turtle land thing with bark for them to hide too. My small one is fine and eats every other day but the bigger one refuses to eat anything other than waxworms. I know that they don't have the proper nutrition and I'm not sure what to do. Also they never ever go in the water at all. When I first got them, the bigger one ate and went in the water for a couple days then stopped. I've had them for about 2 months now and I really need answers. I give all I can to all the pets I have and I feel really guilty that my newts aren't acting the way they should be.

I'll answer any other questions needed

Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How long have you had them?

If it'll eat waxworms, keep feeding them. It's better than nothing.

Jbradybvb

Reaction score
I've had them for about 2 months. I do feed a waxworm every other day but Im not sure if there's a way to make him eat something that's better for him.

I also don't understand why they won't go in the water. I don't bother the tank other than when I feed them so I don't think they're stressed and won't go in the water.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If they're of good weight, you can try withholding food for a couple of days and then try offering a piece of worm on the end of a toothpick. If they're skinny, keep feeding waxies until they're a little fatter. I had a Taricha that ate only waxworms for months. You can dust waxworms with calcium powder if your newts are eating terrestrially.

Could you post pics of your setup? How warm is your water? Do you have a filter?

Jbradybvb

Reaction score
The water usually stays at 68 degrees and yes there is a filter but it isn't on all of the time. Ill try to post pictures later. As for the calcium, that exactly what I was going to do but I will hold the food for a couple days and see what happens:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1