Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Jumped out of the tank

geekychik

Reaction score
I found her on the floor and I don't know how long she was there for, but I picked her up on her lower body and put her back in the tank. As far as I can see, there are no injuries and I think she's just in shock, as am I, but so far she's just sitting there, feathering her gills back and forth frequently. Is there anything in particular I should do when an axolotl gets out of the tank?

geekychik

Reaction score
So far I have cleaned the tank out completely, done a small water change, turned the chiller down to 15c and she ate a worm. So far so good, many thanks to Jacquie for lots of helpful advice. I willl do another water test tomorrow.

layna

Reaction score
Oh dear, do you weigh your lid down? I would advise it from now on.
If she seems fine and wasnt dry when you picked her up, then she must have just got out and by the sounds of it, is recovering well :)

geekychik

Reaction score
I had 2 lids that covered half the tank each, but there was a small gap in both of them in a corner each for the hose, so she must've got out there, I don't know. She felt sticky when I picked her up,

I have covered the entire tank except for one corner, so hopefully that will do the trick, at least while she recovers. I will check on her again tomorrow :)

layna

Reaction score
I had 2 lids that covered half the tank each, but there was a small gap in both of them in a corner each for the hose, so she must've got out there, I don't know. She felt sticky when I picked her up,

I have covered the entire tank except for one corner, so hopefully that will do the trick, at least while she recovers. I will check on her again tomorrow :)

Hmm sounds like she may have had a little moisture still, so recovery seems very likely :)
They really can escape through anything! Silly little things :p

geekychik

Reaction score
Checked on her today, she has shed some skin, but looks to be just fine, aside from her tail, which was injured in her adventure. Other then that, she ate a worm and seems to be her old self again :)
I hope the video links work;

tail 2 - YouTube
tail - YouTube

geekychik

Reaction score
Just update, Smaug has fully recovered from her adventure outside the tank :D
Many thanks to all that helped and gave advice.

geekychik

Reaction score
Thank you Jennewt, that is a great idea, but for now, the curtain I have spread over almost the entire tank seems to be working just fine, and there is a gap in the tank window, so Smaug can see out whenever she wants but has plenty of darkness too. I take it off to feed her and clean her tank out everyday and she doesn't seem to mind at all :happy:

Thanks Kerry, I love my Smaug, hoping it is a girl, wont know for a while yet though :p

karipatra

Reaction score
So glad your wee one is okay! :D

I gave 2 of my juvies to a coworker. She didn't seperate them and one was picking on the other, and it leapt out of the container, even though there was a lid lightly placed on it, overnight.

Yes, you imagine what she found in the morning. :cry:

geekychik

Reaction score
:eek: Thats no good karipatra. I hope they will both be ok and you can help them!

I have seen 4 of my axolotl's die, one of them was a juvie named Juvie :( Hot weather and moving house was just too much for the little one. The other two died because of the last one I got from a pet shop that was not well to begin with and it's illness spread to the others.

So, I will do anything I can to make sure that my Smaug is as happy and healthy as can be :happy: She has one heck of an appetite, I'll give you that! :D

My camera isn't very good, but I try to take some pics and video when I can.
This is what my tank currently looks like:

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 132
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!