Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fin Rot/ red leg, Stopping spread?

jelly

Reaction score
Long story short... Two young axolotls (around 7-8 mnths old, 12 or so cm) got put in a tank, that we suspect had fin rot bacteria in it, it was cleaned but obviously not well enough. Previous goldfish had died in the tank, not till after we linked it together ( was thought that goldfish might have died due to temp where tank was previously situated)

They were in the tank for a couple weeks, were healthy and eating well. then one got sick, by the time it was noticed (people were away so other people were feeding them and they assumed it was from biting!), The sick axolotl was the slightly smaller of the two, it was more or less red all over with blood vessles/ clotting? etc, tail almost all dead looking, gills curled right up, feet dying off? etc.. very awfull to see. He really looked beyound helping and was culled humanly at my suggestion.
The other one appears fine. He was removed from the tank and I am keeping him in isolation in a large bucket for now. It has been two weeks. he still has no sign of it either thank goodness!!.. I am just wondering how to go about having this axolotl back in the tank and not having him get sick from this either, and if early signs of it appear is there treatment that works on it?
Q1- is cleaning the tank with chlorine good enough, and if it is, is it ok for the axy, letting it sit, and the water sit going to get rid of the chlorine well enough for axy?
Q2- how likely is it he is carrying the bacteria in him/ on him? how can this be helped?
Q3- treatment if it did appear?

I do not know how to add a photo on here? but this photo in this threat (post 8, red vein-y look) is similar but our 1 was way more advanced...

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...canum/f58-sick-axolotl/63454-white-bumps.html

Quentari

Reaction score
Actually if anyone knows a good way of sterilizing a tank I'd love to hear it too. I have an axie in the fridge because I'm scared to put him in the tank where my last axie died suddenly :/

Canaveral

Reaction score
Vinegar I think. That's what I've read for cleaning out tanks acquired on Craigslist.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!