Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia vs. BBS

DeCypher

Reaction score
I'm going to start breeding daphnia from a starter culture very soon. I have fed BBS to my axie babies my whole life, and I am switching because of the shocking comparison of daphnia vs. BBS I've been informed of. I have been told with daphnia as a main food item, they grow 5x faster and healthier, as well as a much lower death rate compared to BBS.
Has anyone else had these same results? Do you think daphnia is better?

racheljritchie

Reaction score
i have only raised one lot of babies (which i am doing now) i have fed daphnia because i just couldnt get the brineshrimp to hatch!! size wise i dont have any comparisons as it is first clutch mine have had but they are now eating adult brine shrimp and frozen bloodworm also and they are about 4 weeks old i think ( i am going to check how old they are...i should know this :confused:)

Niels D

Reaction score

Linus

Reaction score
I've gone 100% daphnia in my rearing tubs this year, it is certainly a cleaner method, and they do last longer in the tubs. I am preferring (as well as the newts), this method over bbs. I believe it is largely a matter of what you have available at the time as daphnia can be touch and go, and preference.
It's always good to have BBS as a backup plan.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I'd be suprised at a diffrence in growth based on the same/equal consumption of each.

I WOULD believe a diffrence in growth due to the fact daphnia will survive in fresh water, and be easier to keep available, so the babies would eat more of it. Hence larger growth.

I have said it a million times I hate BBS lol
and daphnia and then worms is the best option.
There are just to many variables with the limited nutrition of the BBS, limited survival time, all coupled with cultures crashing. That make people, especially new to breeding people, end up with a lot of dead babies. Or frantic post about alternative foods :(

spyder

Reaction score
I've only raised one batch of 20 eggs to 2 months old so far and used BBS.

Daphnia would be an easier, less maintenance way. If there is any improvement in growth rates it may be down to the fact the young axies can have live food around them 24/7 without any risk of fouling the water.

The daily cleanups when using BBS can start to feel like a chore and one slip in maintenance and your water quality will plummet along with your little axie population. You skip a water change one evening and you could wake up to a few dead ones.

I'm about to get my hands on some more eggs and this time I have Banana, Walter and Micro worm cultures on the go. These live for 12-24 hours in water and wriggle on the bottom so should make great food for the first 2-3 weeks.

DeCypher

Reaction score
I've raised different kinds of newts on BBS and Daphnia and I haven't experienced much diffirences in growth. Both consist for about 50% out of proteins. If you can give your laravae both together with other food items when they can manage them, they will get a greater variety of nutrients.

Check:
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j...=7yKMC5gUmCRwpokicZkK2w&bvm=bv.46471029,d.d2k

http://www.cems.uvm.edu/~dhemenwa/WaterGarden/Daphnia for control of algae/Daphnia.pdf

Nice PDFs, thanks man!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!