Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating female.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I posted about one of my axolotls but I'm totally stumped with this so thought I'd get some other opinions.

I have a sub adult female, I'd say approximately 7 months old and around 6" in size. I can't say she's grown very much since I got her - She's a dinky little thing but pretty chunky. Most if not all of my babies have grown, and continue to grow very rapidly. She has been floating nonstop for around the past 3 weeks. She's finding it hard to keep her balance and is usually toppled to one side. Initially I thought it was an air bubble so I let it see if it would run it's course, moved her to a cool, shallow tub for comfort. From experience I've found they usually last a day or so then everything's fine. 3 days later, it hadn't passed. Tried fridging to see if it would help ease the bubble, gentle massaging of her abdomen. Still nothing. She would get occasional constipation when she was younger but, obviously, at the time I thought it was generally nothing to worry about. Could they be linked? I've ruled out bloat as having experienced I can't say she is portraying the likely symptoms.

Her condition hasn't worsened nor has it got any better. She still readily accepts food and although she's floating (and doesn't look at all comfortable!) She doesn't look particularly stressed, if that's possible in this situation?! She's still in her tub, receiving daily water changes. Her tankmates are all fine and I've never had any water quality issues (tested regularly). Water temps always nice and cool. Nothing in the tank she can digest.

Fluid build up? Genetic disorder? Gas? Gahh! Time for the vets opinion? :confused:
Thank you in advance!

CJ1981

Reaction score
To be honest if you can't sort out the problem then I would go for a Vet opinion. Maybe message someone on here with pictures and see what they say? I've been lucky the only bouts of floating Axies I've had have been as a result of constipation and resolved once nature took its course!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1