Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Western NY.

Smart Snakes

Reaction score
Greetings Caudata.org. :happy: I'm Becky, half of Smart Snakes Wildlife Education, a home-based business educating people about animals and nature. We started because my other half, Chad, keeps various types of snakes as well as some tarantulas, and we've noticed that people tend to react... lets say "badly," to those animals. People will not preserve that which they fear, and they will consistently fear that which they do not understand. If we can foster understanding of a stigmatized creature, we can help preserve others like it in the wild.

I fell in love with Axolotl at a reptile show a year ago where I picked up Xochimilco, a male wild type who lives on my desk in the bedroom/chinchilla room (chins like it cold too, so they're a perfect match). I joined up here after purchasing a melanoid w/ GFP now named Texcoco from user Glowstick. I'd love to figure out a way to take these guys to events and explain why habitat preservation is so crucial to indicator species. It would be a great lesson for middle school science classrooms and boy scout troops. We live in rural western New York state, not far from the Pennsylvania border. We both work in department stores and like reading. Chad is into speculative fiction (Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) while I enjoy historical fiction and fantasy (Wilbur Smith's novels, The Lord of the Rings, etc.). Our wedding is scheduled for autumn 2014 and will lean heavily on our loves of animals and "geekdom" to make it a fun day for everybody.

I'll be spending most of my time on here figuring out what's wrong with the chemistry in my larger tank (Xochi's) since I can't seem to get rid of the brown algae that started blooming this winter. :confused: I have previous experience with tropical fish, but using a sponge filter is new to me, so my instinct is to scrap it for an external (Whisper, etc.) type that will actively cycle the water instead of cleaning it passively. I'm also figuring out how to culture daphnia and hopefully finding a good local source of other fresh foods for these guys; my local pet stores are a little sparce when it comes to quality live food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!