Cycling a new tank

ForeverGarzone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Megan
Okay, if anyone remembers from here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ate/91067-cycling-results-help-requested.html

our tank was giving us serious issues with cycling. Well in a moment of desperation we set up an extra 10 gal we had lying around, with no decorations, just a new filter and dechlorinated water.

It's been up and running since the 8th, and we used household pure ammonia in it for the ammonia source (just a few drops).

May 8th:
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

May 12th:
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

May 13th:
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 1 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

We also switched from API to Prime for our dechlorinator in this tank, if that makes any difference.

Are we in business here? Anything I should do at this point or just let it keep going? It's definitely in a lot better shape than the other tank!

Hurray for nitrites! That's a great sign. Just keep going. :)

Seee and this is why my tank confuses me so much since it's been running for 3 weeks and my ammonia has yet to drop and I have yet to see any nitrItes.

Cycling just takes time. I'd be surprised at any brand new tank that was fully cycled in under a month. Those readings look great, and you'll get there before you know it. Do you know anyone who could lend you used filter media or substrate from a stable, healthy tank? That would speed it up some.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back