Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help! She's dying!

stephycarter09

Reaction score
One of my females just had eggs two weeks ago. Only 31 of them. Three have survived. When she finished having the eggs I noticed a gel like sac hanging off her bottom. I thought it was maybe just from laying eggs. Now she's not moving much, she's staying at the top and her legs and tail look like they are shredding. She also has what looks to be like fungus under her belly. Please help me. I'll do anything! Ill post pictures when I can. I don't even know if its safe to move her.

2iih98p.jpg

2ain7s3.jpg

Last edited:

stephycarter09

Reaction score
I called one close to me, they said there isn't much to do. She was egg bound and didn't get them all out. :(

stephycarter09

Reaction score
Then you tell me what haapened cause right now she has a sac of eggs hanging off her bottom and what appears to be a clear, but somewhat milk sac hanging off the middle of her stomach. Her arms are red and look like they are deteriorating,as is her tail and her fingers are very dark and some are curled. She's staying at the top. Her gills are bright red and one seems to have "fallen off". Ill do anything. Any suggestions? Please.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Then you tell me what haapened cause right now she has a sac of eggs hanging off her bottom and what appears to be a clear, but somewhat milk sac hanging off the middle of her stomach. Her arms are red and look like they are deteriorating,as is her tail and her fingers are very dark and some are curled. She's staying at the top. Her gills are bright red and one seems to have "fallen off". Ill do anything. Any suggestions? Please.

Sounds like she has had a prolapse and the equivalent of an axolotl hernia but you need advice from a vet who knows what he /she is talking about. Sorry I cant help more than that.

hairypumpkin

Reaction score
If it is fungus, she needs a salt bath. I am not sure what you should do other than that. : ( I am sorry, I hope you figure out what is wrong. xx

stephycarter09

Reaction score
I cant tell. It looks like its just hanging there but then the middle looks like its coming from inside. Her body looks like its peeling. I'm trying so hard to find a vet that will see her and know what they're doing hut no one even knows what an axolotl is.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I cant tell. It looks like its just hanging there but then the middle looks like its coming from inside. Her body looks like its peeling. I'm trying so hard to find a vet that will see her and know what they're doing hut no one even knows what an axolotl is.

This condition is beyond the advice that can be offered by hobbiests you need to speak to a pro asap.

stephycarter09

Reaction score
This condition is beyond the advice that can be offered by hobbiests you need to speak to a pro asap.

I'm trying to find a vet to see her, but like I said, no one will. They don't know what they are.
I don't want her to die. She was my first baby I got. She greets me every morning, before bed and every evening when I get home from work.. :(

stephycarter09

Reaction score

LJay

Reaction score
Good luck :) hope your baby gets better soon! Not a good feeling when they get ill :( Hope the eggs are ok also :)

stephycarter09

Reaction score
She didn't make it. She passed last night. I feel terrible. Ive had her almost 4 years.. how Do you deal with this..

FX1C

Reaction score
:( I'm so sorry for your loss

These things do happen & it's not something you could've prevented or helped. Being egg bound happens unfortunately & you should take solice that you looked after her beautifully for 4 years & she would've lived a good happy life :eek:

I know it's painful & only early but I hope you get to look after more axolotls so they too can have good lives like your girl enjoyed for 4 years :)
Will any of the eggs laid possibly hatch?

<3 >o_o< <3

stephycarter09

Reaction score
Thank you. That means so much. I'm sad for the other ones I have. They truely got along so well. They loved each other.. two hatched out of the 31 she got out. Poor little guys have no mama.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!