Hello out there!

nikki9093

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all...my name is Nikki, and I just got my very first axolotl this past weekend. The breeder was awesome, and her babies were healthy, so I took the plunge. Lol. Mine may be of the gray coloring, and I am hoping so, but there were wild type and the gray type, so I picked a very dark one and crossed my fingers. it has been interesting for sure. watching this tiny wee thing grow so much in not even a week! front legs are longer, and she has rear leg buds now too. gills are all up and shes not stressed at all. eats like a piggie...active and curious. i rehoused effortlessly into what i call her nursery tank. it has a low flow filter which flows to the top of the pagoda i put in there. water dispersment, i have read, is important so as not to stress them out. i have hard water so im not too worried about levels and such. and she seems content. :D

null_zpse741fbb4.jpg

null_zps2500b25a.jpg

null_zps56281f2e.jpg

do they grow this fast? i mean its been only since saturday, and her front legs have actually doubled in size (and they look like human hands...its kinda creepy!lol)...and now she has the start of her rear legs. she seems bigger too. i only feed once a day, and the water is around 65, maybe 70 degree...read that temp and how often you feed makes a difference...how true is that?

Hello Nikki!

You got a very nice axolotl, it has a very nice colour! :D
For the water temperature, it should be between 18-24C (wich is between 64-75F)
I have Always kept mine, since they were little, on 22C (71F), and they are now big and healthy :D

I hope you will enjoy your stay on this forum ;)

Very cute axolotl I'm thinking about buying my first soon to any advice you can think off

So cute!!! I get my first babies tomorrow!!! I can't wait to post pics!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back