HELP!!! sick axolotl!!!!!

dale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My axolotl isn't looking good at all it started about a week ago he stop eating and then i noticed that he was floating more that usual and seem to have lost control of himself. His front legs started to appear as if they stopped working and lay straight against his body.His body is curling on its self. They is nothing wrong with the water. I've put him in the fridge and has been there for one day now, his legs seem to have improved but this body is still curled and he still seems to have limited control over his movements. Does anyone know what's wrong with him and will he get better? Please help im very concerned!

When you say 'nothing is wrong with the water,' you mean that you've tested it and your parameters were in order? Could you share those results with us, please? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, etc)

What do you feed him? Is it possible he's ingested some substrate? If he's still floating, have you lowered the water so that he's able to touch the ground? Could you describe your set up (filter, tank size, substrate, etc) a little bit? Or pictures. Or both, if possible, Good luck with your axie!

I have a very strong feeling its water quality. So if you havent actually tested the water i would do so very soon. From what you described you have a very stressed axie here.

Make sure you are doing 100% water changes daily while he is in the tub in the fridge, and make sure its dechlorinated water that has been sitting in the fridge to keep him from getting shocked by drastic water temperatures. The last thing we want is for him to have more stress right now.

Pictures of both the axie and your setup, along with your test results and the temperature of your tank will go a really long way at helping you out with your axie.

You did good with putting him in the fridge until we can figure it out. Though once he starts to feel better it may be beneficial to take him out but keep him in the tub of fresh dechlorinated water and try to feed him. As long as the water is cool and clean if what the problem is was your water quality he should get his appetite back soon enough(just while they are in the fridge he probably wont eat) just i cant stress the daily water changes while in the tub. Its a bit of a pain but ive been doing them on 2 then 36 and now 5tubs for the past 3monthes. Even doing them twice daily when the eggs first hatched

Yes i took a sample to my local pet shop where they tested it and said everything was ok however i can't remember what the results were. I uses decholrianator and do weekly water change. He's about 1 and a half years old he lives in a 3f tank with sand on the bottom, house and some plants, it just has an in water filter. He used to be on gravel about 6 months ago could this be anything to do with it? He gets fed hikari sinking carnivorous pellets and jbl axolotls pellets and every now and again frozen blood worm, i used to fed him worms but he just wouldn't eat them any more. Are the moment he's in the fridge and just on his side

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back