Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I feed Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets to my axie?

karipatra

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I can't seem to nail down these sinking salmon pellets that people are talking about as far as feeding. Nobody has mentioned a brand name, so can anyone tell me if Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets are the right type?

Now that I have a tank and she's moving to the big time, I want to get Audrey on pellets instead of just blood worms! :p

Thanks! :D

CaptainScruffy

Reaction score
Bump cause I have the same question, I've heard some say yes it is perfectly acceptable. But id like more opinions

FX1C

Reaction score
I feed these regularly to the goldens I have here that are looking for homes - I alternate one day worms the next pellets - the permanent residents here refuse to eat pellets but I think it's important for those still waiting for homes to be able to eat whatever is on offer. The ones staying here know I'm happy to spoil them & take full advantage of me :eek: lol

I've had no issues with these pellets & they seem to smell enough to attract attention & get sucked up with glee even when just sitting on the glass tank floor. The poop is good consistency & easy to siphon up so I give these pellets the thumbs up :)
They do go quite furry after 12hrs so make sure to clean up uneaten pellets.

<3 >o_o< <3

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the salmon pellets, the product of choice (in the USA) is Rangen soft-moist salmon pellets. You can buy 40-pound bags from the manufacturer... or they are available in normal quantities from 3 sources that I know of:
michael
Food
FLYMEAT.COM

I've also heard that ZooMed's newt pellets are now the Rangen salmon pellets, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

karipatra

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I ordered pellets from Flymeat as they are here in Washington state, so I'll get them quickly! :D

mikeg

Reaction score
Other than them being a bit expensive i think they are great my axies go after them right away when i give it to them. I use them more as a snack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1