Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddletail buddies.

brettawelch

Reaction score
So, I have had my paddletail newt for about 4 months now. I noticed that his store of origin has reupped on this type of newt. Would it be too late to consider adding another paddletail to the equation? I know they are rather irritable newts. I have a 50 gal. tank I would consider using for the pair. That's more than enough room, correct? Any insight would be great.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It might work, or it might not. In addition to the size of the tank, consider whether it has enough hiding places. Lots of rocks or other solid visual barriers. You'll be taking a risk by getting a second one, so be sure that you are willing and able to separate them if problems develop.

AngieD

Reaction score
You might also want to consider the risk of introduced diseases in the tank - do you have a second tank you could quarantine the new one in?

Getting 2 paddletails to coexist peacefully can take some careful planning - I noticed both of mine prefer to sit in live plants, so I put live plants at both ends of the tank and made a visual barrier of plastic plants. Despite this, I do still need to keep an eye on them to make sure there's no conflicts going on

brettawelch

Reaction score
After some thought I have decided that he would do better alone. He seems quite happy and active, so I'd rather not disturb that. What would be ideal tank conditions for sexing these guys? lol. I refer to him as such for convenience, but I would like to see if that holds up.

Thanks!

AngieD

Reaction score
The only way I could tell I had 2 males was to let them cool drastically over the winter (I switched my radiator down to 1) and then look at them while spring kicked in. They both developed a swollen, hairy-looking cloaca, and got white spots on their tails (quite a lot of spots in the bigger one, but the smaller one just got a big white 'smudge' on his tail.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1