Can I use river water in my axolotl tank

animal man

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I was just wondering if I could use water from a river and if not can I use water dechlorinator for fish.

the water in the river is clear and fast flowing

if you can help that would be great:D

I wouldn't use river water for axies because of the possibility of introducing pathogens/parasites/nasties from the river. You can definitely use water dechlorinator that is fish safe. Just make sure that is says it can take care of chloramines if you have them in your water. A lot of people recommend using Stress Coat (though I don't see anything online where it mentions removing chloramines and I don't use it myself but I'm assuming since many people recommend it for the slime coat benefits that it's alright).

I got some water conditioner for koi ponds. Because its for large volumes of water its very concentrated and its really cheap compared with aquarium water treatments. It does not contain aloe vera and I'm not getting slime on the airlines any more. It just needs to be measured carefully. One ml will treat 75 litres.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

do you think i could use plants from the river some of them i have seen in store

Anything, water, plants, fish, rocks, that you would get from the river would have possible parasites/chemicals/critters/gross in it. You would be introducing this stuff to your animals in your tank. It is not a good idea.

It also may be illegal. I know you live in Australia, but here in the USA in my state it is illegal to remove things from the lakes and rivers other than fish to eat (in some places it is even illegal to do that). It's really not worth it in any sense.

Its up to you. Anything you bring in could have the above mentioned issues. Personally, I have used wild plants, wood,and food plenty of times. Depends on if you want to take that risk. I do. Other people on here are much more paranoid than me.

Its up to you. Anything you bring in could have the above mentioned issues. Personally, I have used wild plants, wood,and food plenty of times. Depends on if you want to take that risk. I do. Other people on here are much more paranoid than me.

You are not takin any risk. Axies are...

If you buy any plants/feeders from the store your axolotls are in the same danger.

I agree. I dont even lile the thought of buying plants from a petstore, i dont know what is in that water.

I would much rather get clippings from people i know have healthy tanks. I dont know if id get plants from a river or lake but really id debate it if the oppurtunity came. Its something id monitor carefully if i did. But as stated above in a lot of places it isnt the most legal :p but a lot of things are not very legal but just not enforced and i think this is. Good example. Police and wardens have much bigger problems to deal with. Taking animals and destroying lakes and poluting nature are on my higher priority lists then taking a few plants for a aquarium :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back