Normal? Not normal?

tigmades

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Ashley
Hi guys, some black spots have slowly appeared on my wildtype and dark melanoid axolotls (only dark melanoid pic attached, but looks same). I think it *might* be a parasite infection? The black spots are ever so slightly raised and textured. I could have sworn I saw a miniscule white worm on one of their heads... and now that i think about it I think I've vaccumed up some tiny white near-complete circular things.....

I also noticed some red dots on my leucistic a while back, however those appear to be gone now... my golden and white albinos do not have any of these marks, and I can't make out any other colored spots.

Water parameters are fine;
0 ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 40ppm nitrate (was somewhat higher but did water change today).

Temps are around 72F. I realize this is at the higher end, but there are no curved gills or tails and they don't hide in their cave all day, and they're eating just fine (very voracious appetites, actually xD). They are fed red wrigglers, and haven't had a treat guppy or shrimp in a few weeks.

So as the title says... normal? Not normal? I just want to be sure, as their behavior is fine. My guess is it's worms of some sort.... Is there a de-wormer for axolotls? o_O

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpg
    IMG_2170.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,122
I can't say for sure if this is normal or not. My main worry would be are the spots you are seeing anchor worm? If you have had goldfish in the tank with them even months ago this is a possibility. They may have come in with the water of any treat fish.

Do a search for anchor worm on this site and then see if what you are seeing on your axolotl looks the same.

I don't *think* they're anchor worms, luckily. I don't see any sticking out of the body anywhere, and the ones that I used to see dead in the sand were extremely tiny so hopefully they are a non-parasitic nematode?, because I've noticed other harmless copeopods in there meaning there's extra food in tank,

The tank hasn't had anything but my axies in it (custom made for them), and the guppies I breed in a separate tank. They've only been getting offspring of the guppies (except for 1 finicky eater), so even if it were I would think that would help prevent that? Also: no scine of these things in my guppy/cory/shrimp tank, so I think we're in the clear?

I also don't see a mention of any dark spots like this for anchor worms. So perhaps it's a bacterial or fungus infection instead? I can't seem to find any similar cases.

Perhaps? I figure the other copeopods are from when I added the sand to the aquariums, as that and earthworm meals are the only things that have recently changed.

Haha, I just saw one of your older melanoids from last year, Julia, and it had the same dark bumpish-like spots on their head, too (http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...5823-post-your-melanoid-pics-here-please.html) and that's normal?

We always see pics of young axies, not as often elder ones, I think. Mind you, mine is only 5 months old, but still,they developed when he was older, as he didn't have them when he was 3 or 4 months!

It does sound like there is not much to worry about, the axies do generally look very good shape. Non parasitic copepods and other beasties do occasionally settle on axolotls but they do not harm them.

So unless something changes-Normal.

As far as I can tell the spots in the pictures look pretty normal :) melanoids often have black spots, Fury's got an awesome leopard pattern going on on his tail :D

I think your axie looks very normal. My axies have the same spots, and they've got it for a long time now. The spots are part of the axolotl's skin. Compare it to birthmarks.
Also, your axolotls look very pretty!:D

Were your axies born december 20th?? I know random question!

I think the spots look normal, i had to check my wild type and i see the same kind of spots on his face too.

Whoops, didn't see comment! Yes, we have 'lotl siblings! :D

My apologies for not giving proper thanks to everyone for their reassurance! ^_^;; *bows*

The dots are part of the lateral line sensory system. They're usually most visible on leucistics, but all color types have them. Your axie looks great!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back