Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus or bacteria? I'm very worried :(

Alioth

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time ago since I last put a post up on this forum, but I kept reading ;)
I have my two axies, Ningyo and Pachua for 2 years now. Everything went fine up until now. Ningyo is doing excellent, but Pachua (wildtype) shows some problems.
Some background info:

Pachua, wildtype, age +- 2 years, male
We recently moved house (about three weeks ago) and we decided to give them a tank upgrade as well. They moved from a 80 liter tank to a 180 liter tank, a brand new one.
So we set it up from scratch. We used some of the filter media of the old tank, as well as some of the water. Because of moving house, it wasn't possible for the new tank to cycle for a few weeks without the axies, but we did regular water changes of about 30% . Water parameters are fine. Tank temperature is about 21°C. Cooler would be better but it has always been this way. Substrate is river sand. It's new sand but we rinsed it very very very good (my nails are still growing back ;) ).
Food are earthworms, but since yesterday we try to get them on Hikari massivore delite as well.

Pachua didn't like the moving part. Before he was a very *in your face* lotl but that wasn't him anymore after moving. We thought he needed a little more time than his girl Ningyo to adjust to his new situation. He is very quiet nowadays and hiding most of the time unless you wave food in front of him. He still has a good appetite and eats once every three days. But before, he would be begging at the window at every movement he saw... he doesn't do that anymore. He is a little skinnier than before, but not too much. His body still has about the same width as his head, a little less maybe.

What worries me the most is the white thing I discovered in his gills. First I thought it must be fungus but I'm not very sure. It's like buried between the "feathers" of his gills, so I can't have a very good look at it. But what I can see doesn't look cottony. It looks more like something with a harder texture. But I could be wrong about that, because it's so hard to look at!

I tried to take the best pictures I can, I hope I get lots of response because I'm really very very worried and I don't want to do something wrong! I LOVE him sooooooooooo much and I don't want to loose him :(:(

Attachments

• DSC01983.jpg
    DSC01983.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC01988.jpg
    DSC01988.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC01991.jpg
    DSC01991.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC01993.jpg
    DSC01993.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 479

flamegurl100

Reaction score
Thats fungus, and can be taken care of by refrigeration and giving salt baths. It will fall off after a week or two of the treatment. Its happened to my guy a few times, happens when the weather changes outside and the temp inside does not stay cool enough. Kind of a hassle, but we put a fan over the tank to keep it more stable.

Alioth

Reaction score
Thanks, but we don't have any problems with temperature fluctuation... It always stays the same. And in belgium its 10°c at the moment... :D ...
So you recognize this structure as fungus? It wasnt fluffy at all on your guy either?

flamegurl100

Reaction score
Yes it looks like fungus, the same my axie had. Dont know what caused yours if the temp is staying the same. Maybe clean the tank?

Alioth

Reaction score
It fell off yesterday... so the problem appears to be solved for now :happy:
The tank is always kept clean, I suspect it will have been caused by the stress of house moving. It was quite a long ride to our new house... Poor things!
I hope it doesn't return!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tess, to me, it looks like a piece of debris stuck in the gills that's gone fungusy. I'm not surprised that it just 'fell off'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1