Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl

wcaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've had an axolotl for 1 year and recently added a new one to the tank. I have a couple questions.
1. They seem to be getting along just fine, but I'm looking for advice on how to keep them from fighting if it ever happens? I feed them plenty and have hiding places. It's a 10 gallon tank.

2. I feed them bloodworms and shrimp pellets mostly. Is frozen brine shrimp okay too?

3. I have no idea what gender the axolotl are, and if I end up with a male and female, what's the likelihood of them reproducing if I just leave them alone? I really really can't afford tons of axolotl babies/eggs.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

karipatra

Reaction score
Hey there!

Just a quick note that you may find that a 10 gallon is going to be pretty cramped, so it could increase nipping.

If you can afford it, a 20 gallon long would probably be a better option. I just bought on for $45, so not too pricey! :D

As far as the eggs go, you can always post them on here under the FS forum. :eek:

jmsstoner

Reaction score
Hello. Like the poster above me said, you're going to need a bigger tank. If they're well fed and have enough space, fighting shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can feed brimeshrimp, but they're super messy. If they're big enough for earthworms, that is the best option. If one's male and one's female, chances are you'll eventually get eggs. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site that will take eggs off your hands, but the only sure way to keep them from breeding would be to keep them in separate tanks.

Hope this helps.

wcaxolotl

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I forgot to mention that I planned on getting a 20 long in a couple days.
:-/ I may not be able to get them separated...not that I don't have the money or resources to keep 2 separate tanks, I literally have no more space in my apartment (I have to keep pets in my bedroom and it is very tiny). I may have to return the new little guy then :(

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hello - when you get your nice new 20g, you could put a divider in, they are reasonably cheap or if you look here, some clever people have made their own. That way they can still see each other but can't fight/nip or breed (at least I don't think it's possible) only problem is the limitations on their floor space.

Also agree with the frozen Brine Shrimp (super messy) even in a feeding jar! Mine even turned their noses up and refused to eat them, much prefer their Earthworms and if they really have to, they will eat Bloodworms (not happy with them though). :happy:

karipatra

Reaction score
I bought a premade divider when I bought my 20 gallon long the other day, as Audrey is still not past the cannibilistic stage, nor will her new tank mate be either. :p

It cost under $20 and snapped right in, with holes in it so the water can still circulate through the entire tank. And they can get acquainted without getting bitey. ;)

Have fun with your wee ones! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!