How much food should I give my axololtl

animal man

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi At my local pet shop the lady said i should give half of one of those little bloodworm pop out things to an axolotl daily.

she also said if i have earth worms i would give them 2 a day

if you can help that would be great :D

Mostly depends on how old it is :) try doing that and if after a few weeks it's still looking skinny maybe feed it an extra work or two, if it's getting fat you will have to watch that it doesn't get much wider than it's head :) Once it's full grown it will only need food once every two or three days

You cannot overfeed a juvenile axolotl. Once they are full they just wont be able to get anymore food in their tummies, mine normally hold the food in their mouthws for a bit thats when i know they are full. But you can normally see their bellies and you want nice big full bellies!

I would rather give them to much then to little.

How old are your axolotls? And roughly how big? Once they can eat earthworms/nightcrawlers there is no need to feed them frozen bloodworms anymore, i give mine the occasional treat of bloodworms because i have juveniles who are only 2.5" still and feed them bloodworms. My bigger juvies get nigtcrawlers daily.

I also have baby guppies in the tank(ive been breeding guppies so ive had the adults for a while,not petstore feeders!) and if they get hungry, or the guppies get unlucky then they have more treats :p they ate like 6 of them and now since then they havent touched the rest.

Once they are adults you can overfeed them and should be fed every 2-3days.

i Haven't got my axolotl yet but i will be getting him in bout a month and a half but im getting the tang today :D the axolotl are about the length of a pen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back