Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Gills falling off HELP PLEASE :(

Chantal

Reaction score
So I have been away for a couple of days and have had someone else try and feed my albino axolotl, however before I left he hadn't really eaten anything for about 2 weeks. He has done this before and it didn't look like there was anything really wrong with him so I wasn't too worries but when I got back I noticed that his gills are falling off and they look white and fluffy. He is also very lethargic and non-active, which is very different behaviour then normal. He also just floats along the top of the water and does not really move much from there throughout the entire day. I have put some Melafix (brand API) which I have used before on the same Axolotl in his tank, given it a good clean and taken out all ornament and plants but does anyone else know what this is? how I can fix it? or someone who I can talk to about this? Your help would be fantastic :)

sabre

Reaction score
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, etc)?

Taking out all of those items all at once could have taken out a chunk of your good bio bugs. Also...if you've taken out all of his hides, you probably want to put at least one back in to try and keep his stress level down in case he stops floating and wants to duck in someplace.

What sort of substrate do you have in the tank? What does he normally eat?

Does the fluffiness on his gills look just like the gill fluff has gone white, or does it look like it might be cottony, like a fungus? Could you provide a picture?

I don't think the melafix is going to do the right thing since my understanding (and experience) is that it is more anti-bacterial than anti-fungal. Did he present these symptoms the last time you used it in the tank? Would it be possible for you to remove him to a separate container of fresh dechlorinated water?

shazza

Reaction score
A pic of his tank and the gills would help heaps if u could put some up please

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1