Pregnancy Symptoms

Salalicious

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I have 3 fire sals that I think are a male & 2 females. Recently, the male has quite become um.. randy (he was courting my hands when I cleaned their tank out the other day, hehe!)

1 of the females is quite obese looking, she still eats & looks healthy. She's been like this for a few weeks now & her appetite seems to have decreased. Could she possibly be pregnant?

Are there any symptoms or signs to look out for to indicate if a sal is preggers?

She is probably gravid, but definitely not pregnant;) There are no other signs that you can see externally except the nicely rounded body shape.

So soz to sound dense but what does gravid mean please? Never heard of that term before.

Hi. I believe its bloat. But their entire belly would have swollen as maybe even the back legs. If so you need to isolate her. If not the female will only become large at the lower end.

Gravid means carrying eggs, pregnant means a fetus. Technically, even those amphibians and reptiles that occasionally give live birth aren't really pregnant, as the larvae actually hatch from eggs within the mother's body first, and are then 'born'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back