How many in a 30gallon?

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Morgan
I'm getting a 30gallon tonight with a stand for only $55 for both, though no accessories. The tank is 36"x12"x16". I was just wondering how many axies could fit in there? Some have said 1 for every 10gallons or to double the length of how long the axolotl is going to be (if its 15cm, make the tank 30cm etc) So just wanted your opinions :) I'd be using sponge filters as those are quiet and do a pretty good job filtrating. A sand substrate, most likely black like the 10gal Axel is in now, with about 2 hidey holes per axolotl I can have. So just let me know :p

I think the rule of thumb is minimum 10gallon per but ideally 20gallon for the first one and an additional 10gallon for every additional. So 30gallon would be 3maximum with 2being ideal.

I also read a good rule of thumb is an inch of "fish" per gallon an since an adult axie can range from 10-12" and up to 15-18" it seems to make sense to want two and a max of 3 in a 30gallon.

I had two juvies in a 10gallon and once they got to 6" it was already wayyy to small and the water wouldnt stay clean. They are now two in a 25gallon though this wont be permanent i plan on getting a 55gallon to put 3-4 in the future depending on who turns out male/female

How many foot is a 30 gallon tank? and is this US or UK gallons?
All the different forms of volume people use confuse me and im not sure if my tank is too small or not :(

So it's basically a 3ft by 1ft tank? (sorry had to put it in measurements I could understand lol) Are you sure it fits 30 gallons? my 3ft tank (same measurements) only worked out to be around 20 gallons, although I don't know if there's a difference between US and UK gallons... or what gallons we use here in Aus lol

so how many cubic miles are we talking about? :D

HAHA! See its all confusing. My tank is around 3 foot X 1 foot and is approx 100L if i remember correctly.

If it's a 30 long, and not a 29 tall, you can fit 3 just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back