Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Limbs not regenerating

Tephra

Reaction score
Hey all.

A while ago I posted a topic on limb regeneration right here.

The axolotl in question has by this time not regenerated any of his limbs whatsoever.
He can use his little stumps, and is somewhat clumsy around the tank, but he gets around.

He has a voracious appetite; malnutrition couldn't possibly be the problem here. He has actually grown a LOT.

Since the shop I got him from had plenty of underfed missing limb axies; is it possible that they just kept biting off regenerating limbs to the point of scar tissue now preventing full regeneration?

If so; what could I possibly do in this case? He can get around; though grasping onto something or climbing something is very hard when it shouldn't be.

Here's a little video where you can see some of his limbs in action. And don't mind me talking. I talk to all of my pets :eek:

Dilly - YouTube

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
it "is" possible that he will never regenerate his limbs, or it could take monthes to do so.
I have heard of some axolotls genetically unable to regenerate limbs. or at least not efficiently which can lead it taking monthes or years to regrow a limb. It is possible that it is the case with this axie?
Also the older they get the longer it will take. The other thread was posted in january. Has it regrown at all in the past months?
as long as you are seeing some kind of growth, wether its painfully slow, it will come back to eventually.
Regardless though he does seem very healthy looking so as long as it isnt causing him pain I wouldnt worry to much about it :) Maybe make him a mini fake limb for him? lmao wouldnt that be cool!

Morrison

Reaction score
I see it in my lotls as well. The young ones regenerate their limbs pretty fast. The adult axies regenerate their limbs pretty slow and IF they grow back they look a little weird.

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Poor thing! I've noticed my wild type isn't regenerating one of its gills which I assume it lost in the pet store. I've had my axie since January and haven't noticed any regeneration of it even though he's been well fed and the water parameters are okay.

Maybe axies with regeneration problems are becoming more common?

Tephra

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add a picture of her weirdest limb. It just looks like a... blob of meat. It doesn't get worse, it doesn't get better. She can move it though.

tephra-albums-dweeby-derpy-dopey-dilly-picture28799-dillys-leg-bump.jpg

Tephra

Reaction score
So, just asking, with the latest picture... does it seem like normal regeneration? Does anyone else have an axolotl with such strange bumps on the leg?

FX1C

Reaction score
I have found that the overall growing slows almost to a halt whilst the limbs regenerate. Very clean healthy water parameters are needed to regrow gills & limbs, as well as feeding nutritious food like earthworms in abundance helps.

What are you feeding & how often are you testing & doing water changes?

<3 >o_o< <3

Tephra

Reaction score
That's the strange thing, she has grown so very much compared to when I got her, but the regeneration barely took place...

I just think that her non-regenerated legs look so... bumpy. Like globs.

My water parameters are perfect, all my axies are always great and have a good appetite. My tank is fully cycled and is so healthy that I regularly have cope pod blooms. My tank is very much planted (I even have CO2 added to the water for the plants). I always clean up their poops and leftover foods.

All of my axies have a steady diet of earthworms and pellets. Dilly, the axolotl in question here, is actually starting to get a bit fat. I want to feed her enough to regenerate, but I don't want her to get too fat.

I'm starting to believe she'll never fully regenerate. It's been since January/February now...

On a side note; she grew so much that she's actually become the largest tank inhabitant, in spite of being the youngest. She's currently about 23cm long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!