Question: Possible eyeless hatchling & funny body shape....

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rupertxgiles
Hi everyone

So out of Oblina's 400 eggs only 7 developed and one of four that have hatched so far looks very different from the others and I could tell before it hatched as well. The three that have hatched are wild type with normal body shape and definite eyes...but this one is maybe melanoid but I don't see any eyes and it has an odd curvy body. It's too early to monitor eating as it just hatched yesterday but he looks very different and I didn't know if anyone has seen this before or has any advice.

Not sure if helpful but parents are leucistic and GFP wild type

FIRST PIC IS THE WEIRD ONE AND SECOND PIC IS OF ITS SIBLING.

Attachments

• 20130519_234300-1.jpg
    20130519_234300-1.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 20130519_233844-1.jpg
    20130519_233844-1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,045
wow I can't see it's eyes either! you may need to wait and see before it becomes obvious as to where his eyes are, he might be blind but maybe it's just very well camoflaged

"He" does have eyes! Although they are much smaller then his siblings he does have eyes. Not quite sure if they are abnormally small or maybe he is albino of sorts as I can only pick them up when I shine a flashlight on him. Here is a pic that I tweaked with histogram to better show his eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20130521_211215.jpg
    IMG_20130521_211215.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,049
It will be interesting to see if it develops!

I also had an axolotl that was 'sort of' eyeless. She retained the optic cup, and had very small, sunken, mostly unformed eyes. She was able to see light and dark, I believe. Whether this was through the optic nerve or not, I don't know.

Color is slightly off as she is more of a yellowish color and she is eating a bloodworm. Again tho you can see the specks on the gills and head.

Attachments

• 20130619_230408.jpg
    20130619_230408.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,229
Eye size can be so very different with axies... One of my wild types has really big eyes, almost double as big as my other wild type's eyes.
It always gets to me when she begs for food; I can never resist those begging eyes D:

Cute babies btw ;)

I have a melanoid albino baby that looks like it has no eyes, because it lacks the irridophores usually present in the iris' I think.

Just thought I would update everyone....Peaches is now 7+ at 5 1/2 months and is a GFP golden albino

Attachments

• 20131006_235100.jpg
    20131006_235100.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,625
Wow, I wouldn't have expected such a pretty axie from such an odd shaped little squirt! Good for her, glad she made it :3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back