Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Change all the water?

kapooey

Reaction score
I had my little buddy for a month and I change the water every week. But what I did is I only remove 2/3 of the water then put in new water. The reason why I did that because my dad said if I fully change all the water my little buddy won't get use to it. I am not too sure about that. He said it because my little sister has gold fish and betta fish.

I also use API tap water conditioner for my 10 gallon tank. What I did is I add 15 drops(as directed) of water conditioner to a 5 gallon bucket then I put the water in the tank. I do asked people who have fish and they told me I don't have to wait to let the water conditioner mix with the tap water.

I am not sure am I doing this right, if not please let me know. Thank you!!!:talker:

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hi,

Looks like you're doing the API right. As long as it says it removes chlorine and chloramine.

If your tank has cycled then you should be removing at least 20% water each week. If it's not cycled you need to be keeping an eye on the ammonia, if it spikes you will need to do a bigger water change.

This link has some good information on water quality and the nitrogen cycle. Hope it helps!
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

kapooey

Reaction score
Yes. The one I bought is for remove chlorine, chloramies and detoxifies heavy metals. So if I have a filter in my tank, is that cycling?(sorry! Haru, my little buddy is my 1st axolotl and I never have fish before) So I need to buy some test from the pet store to check on the water chemical, right?

Thank you =]

Quentari

Reaction score
Yes. The one I bought is for remove chlorine, chloramies and detoxifies heavy metals. So if I have a filter in my tank, is that cycling?(sorry! Haru, my little buddy is my 1st axolotl and I never have fish before) So I need to buy some test from the pet store to check on the water chemical, right?

Thank you =]

Yep that sounds about right. It might take a few weeks to cycle though, so keep an eye on the water chemicals until you consistently get ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate >40. If your sister has fish she might have a test kit you can borrow

kapooey

Reaction score
Her test kit is pretty old. I only bought the ammonia test strips because I thought it also test nitrite and nitrate=[ But the test result for the ammonia is 0.5. I guess it is pretty bad=[ How should I keep it to 0 all the time? should I change ALL the water from the tank? But I worry if I do that it will harm Haru=[

layna

Reaction score
Does your sisters tank have sand or ornaments in it? if it does you should put some in your axie tank to help it cycle.
Also changing all the water when your trying to cycle is very bad! you need to change enough to keep the ammonia very low, but not to disrupt the cycle :D

kapooey

Reaction score
I see. She doesn't have sand when she have the fishes, she has pebbles and they are pretty small. I don't want Haru to eat it since it will eat anything that can fit in its mouth =p I see

snuggly time

Reaction score
I see. She doesn't have sand when she have the fishes, she has pebbles and they are pretty small. I don't want Haru to eat it since it will eat anything that can fit in its mouth =p I see

Pebbles could be hung in stockings so they can't be eaten. If you buy a test kit the best one to get is the liquid tests. The strips aren't as accurate. :happy:

kapooey

Reaction score
yea. I already ordered the kit. Thanks for the tips!! =]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1