Gravel

Mandy1

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi guys
Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with an Axie that has ingested gravel?! I bought a new one on Friday but the pet shop he came from kept him on gravel. Since Friday I have found 35 pieces of gravel in the tank! He stays in his hide all day and hasn't eaten since Saturday, although he is lively enough if I move the hide to clean. Should I leave him as he is and keep trying to feed or is there something else I should be doing? Thanks.

How large is the gravel and how large is the axolotl?

If the pieces aren't too large, he could pass them all on his own.
If he's new and has been moved from the store to your house, it's perfectly normal for him to be stressed out and have a smaller appetite.

If the gravel is quite large however and you're worried that he won't be able to pass it easily, the best thing you could do right now is to fridge him. Keeping axolotls at a very low temperature slows their metabolism and relaxes all their muscles, making it easier for him to pass the gravel.

There is a topic on how to fridge your axolotl properly right here.

I've dealt with axolotls having swallowed gravel several times... with all of my axolotls actually. The shops are just horrible... But now, all of my axies are perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much; if you give the proper care your axolotl should be fine.

The best of luck to you, and let us all know how everything goes :)

Thanks for your response. The gravel is small and he is about 5 inches long so I think he can pass it ok. I know what you mean about pet shops. They had another smaller axolotl in there who was really bloated. I'll let you know how mine gets on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back