Illness/Sickness: New juveniles in bad shape

Sazi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got 2 juvenile axolotls (6 weeks old) on Friday and they were doing fine. They were eating loads and the temperature was not going any higher than 20c. Yesterday though I was about to feed them and realised they both had white fluff growing on them and the smaller one had a bent tail which I understand is a sign of stress. We gave them a salt bath and put them in the fridge and then did some research...we was told by a 'keen amphibian keeper' that tetra aqua safe was fine to use but my partner found that it has iodine in which I understand can bring on metamorphism? They have so far had 3 salt baths but seem to not be improving. The larger one has its legs in a weird position as well. We have bought bottled spring water and are using this for them to in the fridge with and to make the salt bath solution as I have heard this is a good alternative to allowing tap water time to allow the chlorine to evaporate out and we was in a bit of a rush to help them.

How long do salt baths usually take and is there anymore we can do to help them? I feel so guilty taking the word of that person about the water conditioner but you see such mixed reviews about water conditioners online an anyone help? :(

No bottled water is not a good alternative. I would be using a dechlorinator on your tap water that does not have iodine
Bottled water is to soft for your axie whoch could lead to it stressing out more.
Unless you add dissolved minerals to bottled water it is not food for your axie

Sorry just looked and it is mineral water...is that ok?

In most circumstances (where tap water doesnt have high ammonia), THE best water you can use is tap water with a dechlorinator in it, but make sure it removes chlorine and chloramine/chloride.

I haven't used the dechlorinator you're talking about, but I would recommend using Stress Coat +, as it's never let me down and contains aloe vera to help keep their skins healthy, especially if they've had an accident or are poorly. Large amounts of iodine can induce morphing, which is very stressful for them, but you did the right thing in checking. You're right in that opinions vary a lot on these little guys and it can be hard to ensure you're doing the right thing.

I would use normal tap water treated with dechlorinator personally as it will ensure it's safe. Now that you're more 'settled' with your poorly axxies you will be able to make up aged water and dechlorinate it overnight. For this very moment (or your next water change/salt bath) you might need to use tap water that has just been mixed with dechlorinator. I know it's not ideal but at least it will be dechlorinated. Or you could leave some dechlorinating for now and simply do the necessaries a little later.

Salt baths...hmm...I have never used one yet *touches wood* but I have read that some users have taken a week or so to see results. Bear in mind your babies will be a bit stressed (as you've probably seen, they're not overly fond of salt :( ) and will need a little time. It doesn't mean you're too late. Another cure I have seen is to dip your axxie in seawater for three days, but I can't recommend this and don't know if it works.

I would also recommend trying tea baths for your axolotls once the fungus has disappeared. The tannins will help to soothe their poorly skins before they are placed into their tank.

How are they eating and pooping? Also, what are the parameters in their old tank?

Thank you for the replies.

My partner checked the parameters and said they were fine but cannot remember the readings and we have got rid of that water now as it had the treatment we were using in.

They have not eaten or pooped since Monday. They are in a small plastic tub each and I put 2 live daphnia and 2 live bloodworm in earlier but have not seen if they have eaten them as I am just leaving them alone until their next salt bath at 830pm.

I am going to the store now to get a new dechlorinator as I was under the illusion that bottled water was best with no chemicals but I will definitely check the ingredients before buying. I will also get some of the stress coat+....will melafix be ok if I can't find any?

I used that dechlorinator on my axie. I used most of the bottle until someone on here pointed out it contains iodine which is when I started kicking myself. My axolotl seems fine and he's had no side effects from it, just his normal energetic self. I used mine for quite a while and no morph, so hopefully yours won't morph. :p
I don't know what the amount of iodine is to make an axie morph and I'm not sure if it states the amount on the bottle. It appears to be the new tetra aquasafe which contains it, as other people using the old one can't find iodine on the bottle anywhere. Perhaps your friend is unaware that the new one contains it.

Bought some dechlorinator and I tested a sample of the water they are in at the moment (bottle mineral water)

Chlorine:0
Ph: 6.8
Nitrate: 25
Nitrite: 0

Should I still convert back to tap water and dechlorinate it?

Dechlorinated tap water is fine. As is some bottled mineral water. Melafix is toxic to amphibians; don't use it.

Do you test for ammonia? How big are your axolotls? If you're trying to encourage them to eat, I suggest a much higher concentration of food. When I feed daphnia, they get probably about 150-200 daphnia a piece in each tub. They don't eat them all, but they also don't have to hunt for food; it just swims by.

My current test kit doesn't have ammonia but I am buying and api test kit tomorrow when I get paid. My Axies are only small. We have one that is about an inch and the other is about an inch an half. I will add some more daphnia tonight after their next salt bath

Pictures would help. I don't usually recommend salt baths for larvae; they are too sensitive.

I just need to sort my daughter for bed and will then try to get photos Of them

I think they have died :sad::sad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 182
Didn't upload

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 210
Melafix is made from the same substance used to create turpentine. If you're going to use it, use half doses. It still wouldn't be effective against fungus.

Sorry to hear about your little babies Sazi :sad: And ^^ is right, it is better to use half doses

I didnt buy any melafix as i wasnt entirely sure about how it help or if it was harmful etc. I dont know what to do now as we have all the stuff and set up but no axies. We have had the big tank cycling a week and i have just bought an api test kit. If i let it cycle should we try again with some older ones?

I didnt buy any melafix as i wasnt entirely sure about how it help or if it was harmful etc. I dont know what to do now as we have all the stuff and set up but no axies. We have had the big tank cycling a week and i have just bought an api test kit. If i let it cycle should we try again with some older ones?

That's up to you. If you don't feel up to axies again so soon maybe you could get some different fish?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back