Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping question

B3llaax3

Reaction score
So I'm shipping out a few of my axies in a few days, does anyone know where I can buy an oxygen tank?

Also my boyfriend hear that we can just use the air from a bubbler to put oxygen in the ag for shipping but that seems shakey to me. What are your thoughts?

Any info would be so helpful, thanks!:happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I never used oxygen. Just bag them up half air, half water. If you use the long, skinny fish bags, hold it fully open (with water and axie inside), and grab it quickly around the top and tie it off. This will trap most of the air in the bag.

B3llaax3

Reaction score
I never used oxygen. Just bag them up half air, half water. If you use the long, skinny fish bags, hold it fully open (with water and axie inside), and grab it quickly around the top and tie it off. This will trap most of the air in the bag.

Do they arrive live like that with shipping them over night?

jane1187

Reaction score
Yeh don't bother with oxygen, just nice big bags tightly bound, and don't feed them 24 hrs before and ship them overnight.

Shipping isn't a problem if its fast and done by a courier who knows what they're doing.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've never had any DOA's, not even shipments that got delayed. Either ship them as eggs or as larger juveniles. Hatchlings just can't take the battering.

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
My axolotls were shipped to me in a specialized bag that allowed oxygen to pass through. I forgot the name of it though. It was filled completely with water and they seemed perfectly fine when they arrived. I also had mine shipped with priority mail (2-3 days) but of course it was much cooler when they shipped than what it is now, so I think overnight shipping with an ice pack and the special oxygen bags should work. I would also wait until they're a few inches long too before they shipped.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're called 'breather bags', but I still wouldn't recommend filling the bag all the way up.

B3llaax3

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies its helping me a lot.... They are about 6inches so the should be fine for shipping... It's also good that I don't have to freak out about burn the oxygen tank for them... I am going to ship overnight cause is generally cooler and less stress on the animal. I'll fill the bag half way with water and the rest with air.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1