Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick 4 week old axolotls

Justine

Reaction score
My boyfriend is taking care of my axolotl hatchlings as I am away for a week. He has been taking care of them as I have, using dechlorinated water (left out for over 24 hours) and they're all eating chopped up bloodworms happily.
A few of them have began floating on their sides; they're alive but can't get back to their normal position. What is the cause of this?
I've attached a photo he has sent me, of the golden albino baby:(

Attachments

• 922809_10152880402355204_1459222911_n.jpg
    922809_10152880402355204_1459222911_n.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 458

JessKB

Reaction score
Floating is usually a sign of them not getting enough to eat. They really should be on live food at this stage in their lives. Many axolotls wont eat non moving food until their back legs come in.

Justine

Reaction score
Hi,

My last hatchling (now 1 year old) was fed on live food much longer, but due to the live food arriving dead for a week I chopped up bloodworms and they get fed by hand by dropping the food above their heads, and they all eat it and even take it off the floor of the container without prompting through movement. I asked my boyfriend if they're eating and they were (as he's feeding them with the pipette technique) but while they're floating it's difficult to feed them. I'll try some live daphnia as soon as I'm back, hopefully that's the answer:)

JessKB

Reaction score
If they are eating bloodworm they might not be eating enough. Feed until they are very plump. The ones that are floating may be easier to feed if you lower the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1